Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Drunk in public?

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by vbass, May 23, 2004.

1. vbass

vbass

May 7, 2004
    Bay Area, CA
    Well, I guess it's a good thing I only remember bits and pieces of last night because I think I made a complete ass of myself. I went out with some co-workers and had $60 worth of drinks on an empty stomach (good thing I put it on my credit card so I could figure out how much I had to drink). I feel especially foolish because a lot of these coworkers I respect a lot and are mid to late 30s (I just turned 22) and are parents, etc and just are at a completely different place in their lives than I am. I usually get along with them great when sober (hence the going out) but I think I acted a fool last night.

This much I can remember:
    1. telling a little too much about my personal life :eek:
    2. giving someone my keys and then constantly asking where they are
    3. going miniature golfing (how'd we get there?) and being yelled at numerous times for hitting the ball too hard. I do vaguely remember the club going way over my head on the upswing.
    4. losing my ball in the bushes and then telling someone about it and them just walking away. (maybe i didn't 'lose' it?)
    5. telling a group of people "i dont want to cause any trouble I just want my keys back man"
    6. right after above statement dry heaving into the bushes (yay empty stomach :meh: )
    7. someone trying to drive me home and me being adamant that i was fine and to just 'let me go home man, i just wanna go home'
    8. after them convincing me to get into the car and be driven home, remember constantly saying 'this is gay' and 'its not your problem man'. I have no idea what that means exactly.

And now I have to go back to work tomorrow. Anyone have any similar experiences? Am I just stressing over nothing? There was a guy there that I work with that is also my age that seemed pretty drunk too. I do remember him constantly saying "im drunk" and he did try to help me find my ball after i "lost" it in the bushes.

2. Gia

Gia

Feb 28, 2001
    roseability
    i don't drink.

but everyone i know has had the experience of trying to shut me up in public whilst i have been under the influence of 'other' substances.

NO GEORGIA! STOP IT! don't pick that up!

3. I think you just said everything I'm afraid of of doing when drunk (ie making a total *** of oneself).

Anyway, most of them will know you were drunk. Just admit to it. I mean, I don't think they can blame you for the stuff you do when drunk. And in the end you'll end up having a good laugh about it. I hope...

4. danqi

danqi

May 21, 2001
    Germany
    Been there, done that. Sounds like you had fun.
    Judging from myself and the people in my little universe, I would not worry about it. But I don't know you or your coworkers.

The only thing that - in my oppinion - might get back at you is that "telling a little too much about my personal life" part. I always hate it when I do that.

5. Hategear

Hategear Workin' hard at hardly workin'.

Apr 6, 2001
    Appleton, Swissconsin
    Ah, yes -- drinker's remorse...

Man, have I been there.

6. "I don't want to be drunk in plubilkh' I wanna be drunk in the bar. He asked me to take 6 steps on a straight line. I got to 'Whoa...' " - Ron (tater salad) White.

7. Brendan

Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX

8. a week ago on saturday, im dont feel like i want to ever drink again.

i didnt have any more than I know I oculd handle, probably less than "normal", however, i remember being very, dizzy.
    basically i ruined a really good relationship with part girlfriend/bestfriend... its OK now, altho her other bestfriend is only making this complicated... :scowl:

i still hate myself, im a very lucky guy.. :( :mad:

9. The Urbs

The Urbs

Feb 23, 2004
    MA
    Those are the best stories man! On any substance and be like oh man what the hell happened. BUT, that is on a certain occasion.

Maybe not mention it at all or be remorseful? :eyebrow:

10. Bad Brains

Bad Brains Banned

Jan 7, 2004
    Detroit, michigan
    ahhh, good old drunken stories, can't beat them. I try not to get plasterd anymore, i'm just a casual drinker nowadays. Makes me too depressed.

11. wingnutkj

wingnutkj

Mar 27, 2003
    Scotland
    There's no point in stressing about it too much, in my opinion. There's not much you can do to alter the situation between now and going to work, so just turn up and see what happens. Thank the people who made sure you got home OK, apologise for being so far gone and try to make light of it. Usually these things are quickly forgotten.

Worst one I had was last year in London - got very, very hammered, passed out and woke up, very, very sober the next morning, in my friend's flat. The story of how I got there was long and interesting, and I am forever in his debt for not just dumping me in a doorway and letting me sleep it off. There's a photo of me on an underground train. It was new to me.

12. Tom Crofts

Tom Crofts

Mar 15, 2001
    I got wasted last night, it was my cousin's surprise 18th birthday party at a pub. Most of the people there were either older relatives or people my age I didn't know so I thought I'd get a bit 'relaxed' by drinking a pint or two of that lovely beverage stella artois, unfortunately that couple of pints turned into 7 pints and I ended up in the toilet for about 45 minutes just puking my guts up before going back to the car and sitting half in and half out of it vomiting until the rest of the family came out and went home.

All in all a pretty crap night :(

13. i ahve so many tales of drunken misadventure i don't know where to begin

14. Trevorus

Trevorus

Oct 18, 2002
    Urbana, IL
    bob marley once said:
    Herb is the healing of a nation,
    alcohol is the destruction

I somewhat agree, kinda, halfway.

I am not an advocate for either, but I would rather have marijuana legal than alcohol. But that will never happen.

15. Eyescream

Eyescream

Feb 4, 2004
    Knoxville, TN
    I'm not sure it's fair to blame the drink when somebody's unable to control themselves. I get sick smoking pot more often than I do drinking.

16. Trevorus

Trevorus

Oct 18, 2002
    Urbana, IL
    Well, I really would rather have neither. But that won't happen either. Under the influence of either drug, you should not be driving or anything. I have had bad experiences with either. An uncle died from alcohol, and pot has had some other repercussions. The thing is, I really don't have a problem with either. It's really the lack of control that I have a problem with.

17. "Hey now, I did not want to get drunk in public. I wanted to get drunk in a bar. THEY threw ME out. Arrest them!"

18. Squidfinger

Squidfinger I wish I could sing like Rick Danko.

Jan 7, 2004
    Shreveport LA
    Welcome to my world. :ninja:

19. MJ5150

MJ5150 Terrific Twister

Apr 12, 2001
    Lacey, WA
    Wow....I have never been drunk like that in front of co-workers.

I am sure they will look at you differently at work tomorrow, I would. You acted like an idiot in front of them. Unfortunately, that is what they will remember about you for some time now.

-Mike

20. nonsqtr

nonsqtr The emperor has no clothes!

Aug 29, 2003
    Burbank CA USA

Well, two things to contribute. One is, I wouldn't worry too much about your co-workers. Chances are they've ALL been there. Maybe even with some of the same people that were there with you. The worst thing you can do at this point is to make an even bigger fool of yourself by running around apologizing profusely to people for stuff you don't even remember. Just relax, and don't worry about it. If anyone has something to say about it, they will.

And as a segue to the next item, let me say that I have indeed been there, more times than I can count. Man, I could tell you some stories that would make your hair stand on end. Driving down Barham boulevard chasing some chic at about ninety miles an hour, with one hand over my right eye so I could keep the other one from defocusing. I don't drink anymore, but I had a stellar career from age 14 through about 36 or so. Towards the end there, it started causing some problems. I'd wake up with strange women in bed (really, I mean STRANGE chics), and I'd set up dates and then "loosen up" before the date, pass out, and wake up when it was way too late, crazy stuff like that.

I finally called someone and we talked about it for a while, and it turns out I'm probably an alcoholic. As I think about the history of my drinking, I realize that the very first time I got drunk, I blacked out. Don't remember a thing. That was when I was about 14. At age 15, I went to a party at a teacher's house, got plastered on Tequila Sunrises, and smashed through a plate glass sliding door. Someone took me home, and I woke up in my dad's bathtub. When he asked me what happened, I was so ashamed that I lied and told him I'd eaten something that made me sick. I don't think I fooled him.

The deal is, that a significant fraction of the population is alcoholic. Some of it may be genetic, some of it may be cultural, and some of it may be psychological. And there are certainly other factors too. And please don't be offended by what I'm about to say, 'cause there's no disrespect intended. I'm just sharing my experience. Which is: if you're blacking out on a semi-regular basis when you're out drinking, and you're only 22, then I would strongly suggest that you check out a local AA meeting. You don't have to stand up and admit you're an alcoholic, in fact you don't even have to say "anything". Just go, sit there, and listen for a while. Chances are good you might start looking at things from a slightly different viewpoint.

Good luck with your buddies vbass, I hope things work out for you.