1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Drunks on the road

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by Commreman, Nov 7, 2006.

1. Commreman

Commreman Faith, Family, Fitness, and Frets Supporting Member

Feb 12, 2005
    New Jersey
    Well, I'm finally home tonight after a very close call.

I was driving home from my office on a pretty well travelled secondary two lane road. The car in front of me put it's blinker on to turn right into a local church. I slowed down. The car in front of me comes to a comlete stop to make the turn. I come to a complete stop as well. BANG!!! From out of nowhere, I get rear ended hard by a Chevy Trailblazer 4 x 4. I drive an Infinity sedan. The Blazer probably knocked my car a good ten yards forward. I get out to look at the damage, and my right rear corner panel is hanging off, my bumper is pushed into the trunk, and the trunk lid is pretty crumpled up. The driver of the Blazer doesn't ask me how I am. All he asks is that he will pay for the damage, and lets not mak a big deal out of it. There is probably close to $5,000 worth of damage to my car. I don't know this guy from Adam, and he reeks of booze. What do I do? I dial 911 and tell him I need an accident report. In the meantime, my neck is getting pretty sore (my head was jerked around on the impact). The guy is pleading with me not to involve the police, but a few things are on my mind - the damage to my car is pretty substantial and I don't know that this guy would ever pay, and second, this guy is drunk behind the wheel on a rainy foggy Tuesday night. The local cops and the county sherriff arrive on the scene with an ambulance in tow. After interviewing me, the police insist I take the ride in the ambulance to the local hospital to get checked out. I didn't want to do this, but they insisted. I'm glad they did, because now I'm pretty sore physically. I call home to my wife to let her know what's going on, and naturally, she's upset. My kids are upset. I get checked out at the hospital, my wife picks me up, and we go back to the police department to get my keys so I can slowly get the car home. The guy who hit me was finally being released a full four hours after the incident, and the police confirmed to me that the stupid SOB was indeed drunk.

Bottom line is this - I am a father of three. I have a great wife. I own a business where I have customers and employees that depend on me. I play in several bands. I am an active volunteer in my community. Some a-hole drunk could have ended all of that tonight. I do not care if this guys insurance goes to the moon, or he loses his liscense from now until Earth collides with Pluto. There is no excuse whatsover to get behind the wheel when you have been drinking. Ever.

Sorry for the long rant. I needed to get that off my chest. Now I have to deal with insurance adjusters and rental cars. Oh joy! To end this on a positive note, I am very thankful that it wasn't worse, and that I am here to tell the tale. I'll be sore for a few days, and that's OK. I'm here and alive.

2. Mark Wilson

Mark Wilson Supporting Member

Jan 12, 2005
    Toronto, Ontario
    Endorsing Artist: Elixir® Strings
    I agree entirely.

When I was 13, a drunk driver hit and killed two friends of mine. One was an acquaintance, but the other was a VERY close friend of mine, he was in my class, and switched schools after grade 5. But we all stayed in touch. So the whole class was close to him.

We were absolutely devastated. We were only 13, and we lost such a good friend to a drunk driver!

It still drives me insane when I see it happening.

3. MJ5150

MJ5150 Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Apr 12, 2001
    Olympia, WA
    Good for you sir! I am glad to hear you are not seriously injured right away. Keep close tabs on your pain, it may get worse as the days go by.

Every time I see a drunk on the road, I call 911. I follow the car until I see an officer pull it over.

-Mike

4. tplyons

tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    I'm glad to hear you're okay. I cannot believe how many people are dumb enough to get behind the wheel of a vehicle when they're under the influence, and the worst part is that it's usually the innocent bystanders who get the most hurt.

Scary, but I'm glad to hear you're okay.

5. :scowl: Drunk drivers should spend "JAIL" time, even for the first offense. If they've got a drinking problem, then they should get it taken care of. There is no excuse for the jepardy that they put the rest of us in. I've been rear-ended three times in my life by drunk drivers, and once by a driver playing with his cigarette lighter lighting a cancer stick. I've been cut off by left turn drivers and hit twice by drunk drivers commiting this offense. And worst of all, I was broadsided on my motorcycle by a drunk driver in a pickup truck. Do I HATE drunk drivers, you better believe I do. I've lost a number of friends and relatives over the years to them as well. JAIL 'em all. If they commit it twice, jail 'em longer and pull their license FOREVER! If they kill someone, charge them with premeditated murder as they knew exactly what they were doing when they took the first drink and what the possible outcome was. Pardon my rant, but I really get upset with drunk drivers.:mad:

6. Bard2dbone

Bard2dbone

Aug 4, 2002
    Arlington TX
    I would not be nearly as casual and forgiving as you, sir. But I have been a paramedic for a long time, and I have worked waaaaaay too many wrecks caused by drunk drivers.

I think it should be treated as attempted murder. First offense? That's just peachy. You get exactly the same penalty as if you had just fired a loaded gun at someones head in front of witnesses and missed. Second offense? Same situation, only now act as if you hit them.

Treat it as attempted murder. That's really what it is.

7. kserg

kserg

Feb 20, 2004
    San Jose, CA
    Attempted manslaughter would probably be better name for it. Hey, bet that will stop some of them.

8. Thanks for sharing this.

I hope that TBers who have boasted about how they drink during their gigs will take serious notice, because even a few drinks can lead to this.

9. aint that a oxymoron

10. I really didn't think I was being casual. The courts in this country are absolutely disgusting in the way they let these jerks off. "Jail for first offense" in my thinking was only if no one was injured. If injuries occur, then it should at a minimum be attempted manslaughter. If a death occurs, then it should be premeditated murder. Casual, no. Sorry you took it that way.

My daughter is an ex-paramedic, a registered nurse now. She has lots of horror stories to tell as well.

The incident with me being hit by the drunk on my motorcycle left me with back and neck problems and a really messed up leg. That accident happened when I was 31. I'm 61 now and still suffering from it. Casual no. I think you simply misunderstood me. Or I wasn't as clear as I should have been.

I do agree with you, mostly. Peace Brother.

11. Bard2dbone

Bard2dbone

Aug 4, 2002
    Arlington TX
    Ah. Once again, we have the failure of a print medium to express inflection. I wasn't actually saying you were being casual. I was trying to strongly imply that I'm much more hostile.:rollno:

And Kserg, I meant attempted murder. Manslaughter can be by accident. Murder is on purpose. When gangbangers do a drive-by shooting, even if they don't know who they're going to hit, they want to kill someone. That's murder.

Getting behind the wheel after drinking is the same thing.:scowl:

12. Commreman

Feb 12, 2005
    New Jersey
    Thanks, everyone for your kind words and well wishes. TB is indeed a great community!

I just got back the damage estimate. It is a whopping $8,200.00. It will take nearly a month to repair my car. I DEPEND ON THIS VEHICLE FOR MY BUSINESS, SO THIS SUCKS!!! Starting tomorrow, I'm seeing medical professionals, as now I'm getting headaches and shooting pains from my neck down my right arm. I'm glad to be alive, but if this affects my ability to run my business, play with my kids, have fun with the wife, or God forbid, make music, this useless drunk will rue the day he picked up a bottle.............

13. :cool: Unless something is amiss here, since the other driver was at fault, you should be able to get a rental car paid for by the other driver's insurance company for the period that your car is in for repairs. It may not be as fancy as yours, but it will be "wheels". Check it out.

14. FunkSlap89

FunkSlap89

Apr 26, 2005
    Albany, NY
    If someone is drunk enough, they won't even realize that they made the decision to drive the car. You can't automatically assume that they got into the car knowing that they weren't able to operate the vehicle.

With that said, i can't stand drunk drivers. I plan to never get anywhere near a steering wheel even if i've had a single drink.

15. Commreman

Feb 12, 2005
    New Jersey
    The insurance company will pick up the majority of the cost - they have given m a Saturn Vue 4 X 4, so I can comfortably use this for me and my customers (I'm in the commercial real estate business, specializing in Warehouse/distribution product). I do a lot of driving - probably 40,000 miles a year, so while I have presentable cars for business, it's a waste of money for me to burn up super fancy wheels every four or five years or so.

16. Neb Maro

Neb Maro I don't think, but I still am.

Oct 20, 2006
    So. Cali
    The thing that sickens me the most about drunk drivers is the stories that I hear about them coming out almost unscathed when the people they hit are either killed or badly hurt. They cause all of this pain and destruction and walk away. (Not that I really wish they'd die too) Still, they sober up and have to come to grips for what they did.

I'm sorry you got hit. I hope that you will make a full recovery and that you won't ever be hit by a drunk again.

17. kserg

kserg

Feb 20, 2004
    San Jose, CA
    What? That harsher punishment will stop some people from doing it?

18. kserg

kserg

Feb 20, 2004
    San Jose, CA
    Hmm, maybe.

19. Ericman197

Ericman197

Feb 23, 2004
    Iowa
    The definition of manslaughter is an unintentional murder.

20. PDubs

PDubs

Aug 22, 2006
    NYC
    Thats what drives me nuts. The reason that drunk drivers live through car crashes is BECAUSE they're drunk.

Your body is relaxed at point of impact, minimizing injury.

OP, hope everything works out ok.