1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

dry bass tone in death metal

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by champbassist, Mar 23, 2009.

1. I'm new to the realm of bass equalization & tone settings. Could anyone tell me how the bassists in death metal(esp. alex webster,troy tipton) get their bone dry tone. A quintessential example wud be the bass solo in hammer samashed. Sounds like lots of treble to me; probably new strings or heavy gauge strings. Just asking in terms of mid, lo, high mix here.

2. thats pretty much the exact sound you get with a bass with EMG pups and an svt3 pro or svt 4 pro, with the mids boosted a little

3. gm jack

gm jack

Oct 5, 2008
    Reading UK
    In Cannibal Corpse, a lot of Alex's tone come from his very low action so the strings bounce of the frets when he attacks the strings, not unlike slap.

This is covered in a sticky in the technique forum.

4. dry tone? active bass, mid scoop, DI or cheap solid state amp.

done.

5. I was reading about his gear once, if I recall correctly he used a GK then a SVT-400t into a 810e in the early days. But yeah his tone seems to have a scoop with a lot of highs.