Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

dry cleaning a case?

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [DB]' started by klepto, Feb 22, 2005.

1. klepto

klepto Guest

Nov 10, 2004
    i have a 15-year old mooridian case and i was thinking about getting it dry cleaned
    i don't know if any of the local dry cleaners will do this...
    and, i'm wondering if there is anything in the dry cleaning solution that will harm the finish on my bass

anyone have any experience with this?

2. anonymous0726

anonymous0726 Guest

Nov 4, 2001
    I've had the thought a couple of times over the years. I ended up hanging one case over the clothesline and going at it with a hose and a soapy brush. The one I have now will simply be replaced -- and repulsive until then.

3. jazzbass72

jazzbass72

Jun 26, 2003
    New York, NY
    I've had my soft case dry-cleaned by this Korean lady in my Brooklyn neighborhood last month. She charged me $40 and made it look like new (she'd never seen a bass case before...she said it was a tough job, but she did great).

Unfortunately, after laying this case on dirty subway floors 5 or 6 nights a week, I must say it's almost as bad as it used to be, before the dry-cleaning experiment. Maybe I should keep the bass upright while riding the train, as opposed to laying it on the dirty floor. That would keep the case cleaner. But reading my magazine or flipping through my iPod tunes would become a pain. Oh well. Talk about the joys of being a car-less double bassist in New York City. :D

Well, that's still better than paying $300/month for basic car insurance.... isn't it, Ray?

Marco

4. anonymous0726

anonymous0726 Guest

Nov 4, 2001
    At my age, the insurance bill for minimum liability is only around $60 :)

5. jazzbass72

jazzbass72

Jun 26, 2003
    New York, NY
    Hey Ray, I am 32...you're not *that* much older than me, so I don't think that's the issue. Indeed, I have had a driver's license for the past 14 years. When I was living in Boston, my monthly premium for minimum liability was only $28/month. Bet you can get a comparable rate in Toledo, OH?

I assume that owning a car in Brooklyn, NY is just a very different story than owning one in Boston.

However, weren't we talking about dry-cleaning a Mooradian case? :D

6. anonymous0726

anonymous0726 Guest

Nov 4, 2001
    :)

I'm not sure, but I think there's a cutoff age at 35 or something. Plus I'm just talking min. liability and $300 sounds like you are looking at full comp.

The case? I'd wait until spring and hose'n scrub it myself.