Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

dry fretboard?

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by SwilsonR, Oct 29, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. i've only oiled the rosewood fingerboard on my bass of a few years once...are there any things to look out for that would let me know that its time to oil or that the board is drying out? thanks much.

2. dave_clark69

dave_clark69 Guest

Jan 17, 2003
    i would guess there would be lots of small cracks, and its acoustic properties wont be as good.

3. I make a point to clean my fret board each time I change my strings. I would suggest the same to you.

However you do not need to oil the board each time. Only when the board looks and FEELS dry.

[​IMG]
    Treena

4. I have never oiled my fretboard. But i do clean it with Mr Sheen everytime i clean the strings.

No worries!

:D:D

Merls

5. Merls, excuse my ignornace........what is Mr. Sheen?

[​IMG]
    Treena

6. Mr Sheen. How to explain it without causing raised eyebrows. Its a general purpose house hold cleaner/furniture polish.

I know the arguements about using these substances on fret boards. The one i have at the moment comes with lemon oil so thats not so bad.

[​IMG]

Merls

7. jazzcatb17

jazzcatb17

Dec 27, 2002
    Louisville, Ky
    MR. SHEEN!!!!!!! the evil bizarro brother of Mr. Clean!!!!!

8. Thank you Merls.

It was suggested to me that furniture polish is a no no here at TB.

Thank you for your time and explaination.

[​IMG]
    Treena

9. Thats quite alright. ;)

I mean someone may try Mr Sheen and go "thats crap!!" but it works for me so *shrugs*

Merls

10. NV43345

NV43345

Apr 1, 2003
    I use Boiled Linseed Oil. I have used this since
    the 70's. I take a small amount on a corner of
    a cloth, similar to the one's you swipe from
    hotel's. and rub it in gently to the wood, then
    go back with another corner of the towel and wipe
    it off real good, you will see the dirt come off
    on the towel. Then I put another light coat on
    and buff it off with a another clean part of the towel, then I let it sit for a couple hours before I
    string it up. It leaves the Fretboard clean and
    oiled up, and after years of use they still look great. It is available at Ace Hardware stores,
    The most important thing is to throw the towel
    away in the trash outside your house when you are done. I usually cut 2"x 2" square's off the towel.

11. Does the towel lbecome a spontaneous combustion risk after it has been used with the boiled linseed oil?

12. NV43345

NV43345

Apr 1, 2003
    That is what I have been told, so I always toss
    it in the trash, my niehgbors trash if there not
    looking, that way if there is a fire I don't
    know nuthin ?.Muhwaaaaahhhh
    Fire....Fire ;)

13. notabob

notabob

Sep 20, 2003
    cincinnati ohio
    yeah, i used boiled linseed oil on my fretboard last night...against treena and hambones better judgement. i put the towel in my sink and let it soak for a significant amount of time and now it is hanging in my shower. there was a warning on the bottle against spontaneous (SP?) combustion. personally, i think it would be kinda cool to see that happen.

14. Aussie Mark

Aussie Mark I come from a land down under Supporting Member

Oct 26, 2002
    Sydney, Oz
    Endorsing Artist: Fender; O'Neill Amps; Cave Passive Pedals
    Linseed oil is not recommended for rosewood fingerboards, but is ok for ebony or maple. Being more porous, rosewood will become soft if linseed oil is used.

15. notabob

notabob

Sep 20, 2003
    cincinnati ohio
    thanks mark, but i have been advised otherwise by people whos oppinion i tend to trust more. i have talked with many people who use boiles linseed oil on their pau ferro boards and so therefore i am too. i would never put anything on my pau ferro without first doing the adequate research.

16. NV43345

NV43345

Apr 1, 2003
    Quote: Linseed oil is not recommended for rosewood fingerboards, but is ok for ebony or maple. Being more porous, rosewood will become soft if linseed oil is used.

This is total crap, I have owned this Bass since
    new 1977. I have used Boiled Linseed oil on it
    for 26 years, and look at the condition that it is in. This Bass has been in many different climates also,Chicago in the dead of winter,
    Las Vegas (dry as a bone) and Now I live in the
    Humidity of Florida. It looks brand new.This was my main Bass from 1977-1986. It got alot of use.
    [​IMG]

17. notabob

notabob

Sep 20, 2003
    cincinnati ohio
    yeah, this bottle of boiled linseed will probably outlast me. :D

its great stuff. the people on the bassplayer forum referred me to it. im glad someone finally stepped in and took my side. thanks NV. you just reconfirmed that i did the right thing in oiling my board.

18. notabob

notabob

Sep 20, 2003
    cincinnati ohio
    you bet! one of the guitarists in my band went out and bought some himself and hes gonna oil his board sometime. his fretboard is...gross. he thought mine looked really nice and got jealous or something.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.