Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Dry hands during play

Discussion in 'Technique [BG]' started by GeorgeR, Nov 11, 2000.

1. GeorgeR

GeorgeR

Nov 5, 2000
    After playing for a couple of hours, my fingers and hands lose lubrication, the skin becomes dry and playing becomes painful. This is only relatively recent, so it must be because I am aging.
    Any suggestions, appropriate for playing Bass? Creams, lotions, oils?
    George

2. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

This happens to me when it starts to get colder and less humid.

The 2 best things to prevent it are to turn up the amp and play with a lighter touch, and either use coated strings like Elixirs, or a string lubricant such as Fast Fret or Finger ease.

I don't like using a pick, but when it gets colder, I carry picks with me, so that when the fingers get too sore, I can switch. It seems to be worse on my plucking fingers than on my fretting fingers.

4. CS

CS

Dec 11, 1999
    UK
    What job do you do? What substances do you come into contact with ie oils etc?

Does this condition occur in other activities ie is it contact with metals.

Does it occur in other buildings ie air con ventilation?

What I'm saying is isolate the cause. If its work use barrier creams/gloves.

Second the intensive care cream thing.

5. Brad Johnson

Brad Johnson Commercial User

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    Boom Bass Cabinets, DR strings
    I play with a light touch and my hands stay dry so lubrication isn't an issue for me. What type of strings are you using that require it?

6. GeorgeR

GeorgeR

Nov 5, 2000
    I'm just playing my guitar at home. As I've aged I found the natural lubrication in my hands would not last so long during playing, and lightening up on the touch only causes me to lose my tactile response, to become over cautious because at this point, though I push myself, the skin becomes sensitive and painful on both hands, and their respective fingers.
    I try to play at least an hour or two every day, but sometimes go for two or three days without playing, due to committments at work.
    I was thinking about using a cream or a lotion but wasn't sure which cream or lotion would leave as litle a residue on the strings, or which cream would present the least risk against the finish on the guitar.
    I do electronics for a living, so some delicacy in fine motor control and touch is a must, and while I do worry about some chemical exposure, I get a complete blood workup to make sure I haven't taken foreign substances through my skin.
    George

7. i kinda have the exact opposite problem i have a condition named Hyper Hydrosis (cant stop hand from sweating) it sucks when you have to shake hands but it kicks on stage!

sorry about your problem but ill lend you some of mine if you want!

8. I read a little blurb in a Fender Bass Advertisement at GC,the other day.It stated that Jaco always used to eat fried chicken before he played a gig.Supposedly the greasy chicken would give his hands/fingers the lubrication necessary for his blistering playing.Fact or fiction....you be the judge! :rolleyes:

Not a bad idea...you could kill two birds(no pun intended) with one stone.....slippery fingers and a full tummy! :D

Usul

9. dot74

dot74

Aug 24, 2000
    In the musician's friend magazine, it featured an article about jaco and the famous chicken grease.....this is indeed a fact. He didn't do this trick ALL the time, but most of the time he did. There was also another article about essential oils and lubricants.......the grossest (yet probably most effective) was "nose grease", the oil that is on your nose, you just rub your fingers on the side of yer schnozz and away you go.....for the more serious dry hands/fingers, the article suggests "hemp oil", it is totally legal and works great....just put some on a napkin, put the napkin inside a ziploc baggie and put the baggie in your pocket....when you need the "grease", just slide yer fingers/hands inside the baggie and voila.....