1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Dry Heat to Humid Heat

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by MAJOR METAL, Sep 24, 2008.

1. MAJOR METAL

MAJOR METAL The Beagle Father Supporting Member

Man things sure are different out there. It is 96 degree F outside right here and I walked a good distance without breaking a sweat.If this was NY I could gaurantee you I would be soaked as our heat out there is usually very humid.

2. Jared Lash

Jared Lash Born under punches

Aug 21, 2006
    Denver, CO
    Hit up Vegas & Phoenix MM.

"Yeah, it's 120 F, but it's a dry heat."

3. MAJOR METAL

MAJOR METAL The Beagle Father Supporting Member

Vegas is like 220 miles from me.

4. EricF

EricF Habitual User

Sep 26, 2005
    Pasadena, CA
    Yep, it's a dry heat more often than not. The heat is like roasting, rather than braising. Kids will burst into flames right before your eyes during the Summer.

5. EricF

EricF Habitual User

Sep 26, 2005
    Pasadena, CA
    Sub-3 hours by car - the City of Sin is closer than you think. ;)

6. SpankyPants

SpankyPants That's Mr. SpankyPants to you.

Aug 24, 2006
    Brooklyn, NY
    I agree, man.

Louisiana weather is unimaginably oppressive. Even in the valley where it's hotter, I'm still comfortable. I've been riding my bike all over the place! It broke yesterday, though. :(

Point is... this is awesome. Louisiana just had 2 hurricanes within a month. Here, clouds are almost infrequent enough to warrant names.

"Look, that's cumulus cloud Clarence!"

7. doctorjazz

doctorjazz

Oct 22, 2006
    Wilmington, NC
    Yeah, NC summers suck.

8. Jared Lash

Aug 21, 2006
    Denver, CO
    570 miles from my house and that doesn't stop me.

Back on topic, I've spent a fair amount of time in Austin, TX and I've always thought that the humidity was the only thing that would keep me from living there.

Then again, I'm a baby with regards to weather. Living in wine country for a spell I got upset if the temp got above 80 F or below 50 F.

But growing up in Sacramento, and aving visited Nebraska and Minnesota during winter I'll take oppressive heat over blistering cold any day.

9. SpankyPants

Aug 24, 2006
    Brooklyn, NY
    I'm going to Vegas for Thanksgiving... if anyone wants to meet me out there.

We can go watch Cirque du Soleil and play with chairs...

10. Jared Lash

Aug 21, 2006
    Denver, CO
    "The tall one is gawking at me and the other one is very droll"

There's a decent chance I'll be out there for Thanksgiving. My sisters and my Stepmom live there and my Dad splits his time between Pleasanton and Vegas.

11. WarofAges

WarofAges Guest

Sep 28, 2007
    I hate going to the east coast during summer. The humidity is terrible, especially in Ohio, i can't i used to live there and put up with it

12. SpankyPants

Aug 24, 2006
    Brooklyn, NY
    Well then... we should really go see that Love cirque show.

13. Joe Gress

Joe Gress

Dec 22, 2005
    Pueblo, CO
    You guys should try summers in Colorado. 'Bout 85-90 average, and 10 humidity when it rains in the afternoon. And we see the sun every day, guaranteed.

14. It's fan-friggin'-tastic!!!

15. Scarlet Fire

Scarlet Fire

Mar 31, 2007
    New England
    Oh, you silly kids with your "heat" and "humidity."

Try a winter in Maine. That will make all of you cry.

16. Spector_Ray

Spector_Ray

Aug 8, 2004
    Texas
    Give me dry heat over humidity any day.

17. MJ5150

MJ5150 Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Apr 12, 2001
    Olympia, WA
    I went to Palm Springs for the first time in my life a couple weeks ago. I felt like I was going to burst into flames, there was nowhere to hide from the heat. It was like I was cooking from the inside out. It definitely is a different heat from the east coast.

When I was in New Orleans, at least we could find somewhere to sit in the shade and just chill with some ice tea. That would help you stay cooler. Down in PS, that doesn't work.

-Mike

18. SpankyPants

Aug 24, 2006
    Brooklyn, NY
    I disagree. In Louisiana the humidity is so bad that the shade doesn't make a difference.

Here in CA, the shade is significantly cooler.

19. MJ5150

MJ5150 Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Apr 12, 2001
    Olympia, WA
    Well, you would know better than me. I was only in NOLA for a couple weeks at a time in June and July when I went down.

I just remember sweating nearly to death while working. The only relief we had was sitting in the shade and drinking ice tea. It wasn't "cool" by any means, but we were able to escape the heat.

When I was in Palm Springs, I sat in the shade at the outside bar at the Hyatt, and had some ice tea. I was roasting hot just as if I was in the sun. I couldn't believe it. I went inside to the air conditioning, and it was like 85 inside!

-Mike

20. SpankyPants

Aug 24, 2006
    Brooklyn, NY
    Well... were you drinking NOLA iced tea? ;)