1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Dry Heat to Humid Heat

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by MAJOR METAL, Sep 24, 2008.

1. MJ5150

MJ5150 Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Apr 12, 2001
    Olympia, WA
    A couple old guys were watching us work, so they came over and had us sit with them in the shade and they told us stories about NOLA and their history in the area. I didn't taste any alcohol in the tea, but it was the best sweet tea I have ever had.

-Mike

2. SpankyPants

SpankyPants That's Mr. SpankyPants to you.

Aug 24, 2006
    Brooklyn, NY
    I meant in Palm Springs.

We drink magical "cool you down" voodoo iced tea in SOLA.

3. EricF

EricF Habitual User

Sep 26, 2005
    Pasadena, CA
    Ain't been to the desert in the summer yet, have ya Spanks? That **** will roast you in a way you've never felt - shade or not. It certainly is a different sensation than the humidity of the east, but it will cook you none the less - roasting vs. braising.

4. Depends on what PART of NC you're in in summer...they're not any trouble at all here in Greensboro, at least not when compared the the hell-on-earth that is August in either Baton Rouge or Orlando, my two previous homes.

5. Benjamin Strange

Benjamin Strange Commercial User

Dec 25, 2002
    New Orleans, LA
    Owner / Tech: Strange Guitarworks
    As much as I don't like humid heat, I REALLY hate humid cold. The winters in New Orleans are BRUTAL. Even though the temperatures aren't that low, the cold just seeps into your bones and makes you want to die. No thank you. I'm out.

6. Yeah.

Used to go fishing at the Rigolets (the narrow passageway between Lake Pontchatrain and Lake Bourgne) in the middle of winter (good for fishing, the cold chases all the big fish inshore), nothing like being on the water at 5 am in the dark, a 35 mph wind blowing in off Lake Bourgne, the air temperature about 30, and the humidity pushing 90%.......

...BRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Up here in NC, last year we had a snow storm (well...such as you get in this area, about 6"), the temperature was probably about 20F, and I walked around outside in jeans and a t-shirt, was completely comfortable.

7. Bayou_Brawler

Bayou_Brawler The most hurtful thing ever realized

Oct 23, 2003
    Ann Arbor, MI
    yup when i lived in houston i though i had a sweat gland disorder....soaked all the time...even at night....

moved to michigan....it gets up to 90 sometimes in the summer.....no sweat...

8. I went from living in El Paso to Panama.

Getting off the plane and suddenly just being wet. Had a hard time breathing with all the humidity in the air.

9. sarcastro83

sarcastro83

Jul 27, 2007
    Toronto, ON
    Anyone here ever experience summer in Toronto? It's like walking around in a warm bath... you feel like a friggin arm pit for a few months out of the year. Uncool.

10. ...trust us on this, if you haven't experienced what summer in a place like Houston, New Orleans, or Orlando is like, you haven't a CLUE about humid heat...

11. xaosbass

xaosbass

Feb 15, 2008
    yep,
    i spent a winter in Ft Drum NY that was pretty rough but it was candy compared to Korea. We don't have anything here that gets that cold.

12. sarcastro83

sarcastro83

Jul 27, 2007
    Toronto, ON
    Been to Florida a couple of times as a kid in the Summer, and it was pretty disgusting as well... I have something of an idea in that respect.

Smog here sucks too.

13. Bayou_Brawler

Bayou_Brawler The most hurtful thing ever realized

Oct 23, 2003
    Ann Arbor, MI
    yeah people up in michigan think they have humidity....and they actually do get a little...but compared to houston....there is no humidity....

14. Bassic83

Bassic83

Jul 26, 2004
    Texas, USSA
    Hell, in Houston we grow gills to breathe. Now THAT's humidity! :D

15. wazzel

wazzel

Dec 27, 2007
    Houma, LA
    Not to mention summer is 6 months long or longer in all of those cities.

16. ...most of Nawlins is under sea level...yeah, gills are a requirement...I was happy as a kid when we moved to high ground in Slidell, we were all of 9' above sea level!!! :hyper:

...didn't do SQUAT during Katrina, the house I grew up in had 6' of water in it...

:meh:

...dad just took what he could salvage, and sold the house "as is"...

:(

17. DudeistMonk

DudeistMonk

Apr 13, 2008
    Newark, NJ
    Dream Theater reference? Man its been forever since I listen to to them *turns off oysterhead and digs up metropolis pt.2*

18. Benjamin Strange

Dec 25, 2002
    New Orleans, LA
    That's from Space Dye Vest, from Awake (the only DT album I can stand to listen to).

19. MAJOR METAL

MAJOR METAL The Beagle Father Supporting Member

When are you comming over to cuddle Ben ?

20. Benjamin Strange

Dec 25, 2002
    New Orleans, LA
    Next week.

Thank god for dry heat - we won't have to worry so much about sweat and/or chafing.