1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Dry Ice Fog and Speakers

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by bassvi, Apr 24, 2009.

1. bassvi

bassvi

Jul 12, 2005
    Iowa
    Does anyone know if theatrical dry ice type fog has any potentially harmful effects on speakers? Lots of bands used to use dry ice fog machines in the 70's, but you don't see these anymore. Is it just because it went out of fashion, or can it cause speaker failure?

2. ehque

ehque

Jan 8, 2006
    Singapore
    Theatrical fog and dry ice are 2 different kinds of smoke, although superficially similiar. Dry ice fog tends to flow near the ground like a liquid. Smoke machine fog (or theatrical fog) tends to disperse upwards, generally.

Dry ice is solid carbon dioxide, what you see is the water vapour condensing/freezing out of the air. Since it is water and carbon dioxide, no harm will be done to your speakers, especially since the water is not sprayed into the air, but created by condensing water vapour.

Theatrical fog, on the other hand, is a glycol mist sprayed into the air. It might condense on everything, including speakers, but i don't see how that might damage them either, unless used in huge huge quantities (enough to cause breathing difficulties)

3. Steve

Steve

Aug 10, 2001
    It's just water vapor like real fog. I don't see why it would hurt anything. It's also pretty tough to get it any thicker than 6-8 inches off the floor

People stopped using it because it's a real PITA to locate, transport and handle.

It can get kind of pricey as well. It comes in two forms, block (good) and snow (bad)

The snow form has too much surface area and will turn into and ice ball about 10 seconds after hitting water and stop the effect.

4. chadds

chadds

Mar 18, 2000
    It made my hair really big :eek:which made me lean over the edge of the stage and bob it up and down while I strangled the neck of my bass. Besides that no negative affects.:eek::bassist:

5. Jim C

Jim C Is that what you meant to play or is this jazz? Supporting Member

Nov 29, 2008
    Bethesda, MD
    Never thought the fog was a good idea around open electronics like tube amps

6. l_937ffbd0b92e4c25b896b26f4b3cb086.

l_ac99593a07cd430189ea56ebe18a58a8.

We have one little fog machine about 7 feet away from us pointed at an angle towards all my cabs that we leave on during our entire set. The fog goes inside my 2x15, 1x18 and 4x10 and I know it goes inside my Sunn amps as well, since they have vents on them. Never had any problems. All our equipment smells like the fog, but that's about it. It barely condenses on anything though.

7. rbonner

rbonner

Sep 25, 2008
    I have a whole bunch of them modern fog things, two of them still in the boxes. I also have about 6 new bottles of fog juice. This stuff is pretty harmless. The Old dry ice ones really harmless. Wrecks pictures though. I used to try and shoot fog fashion shots and they lost all contrast. Looked about like the shots MATT had but the people in mine were naked hot looking chicks, you just couldnt tell with all the fog in the way, no way to control that crap. BOB