1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

DS9 Vs Voyager

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by MAJOR METAL, Oct 8, 2013.

DS9 Vs Voyager

Poll closed Jul 3, 2016.
  1. Deep Space Nine

17 vote(s)
    54.8%
  2. Voyager

9 vote(s)
    29.0%
  3. Carrot Trek

5 vote(s)
    16.1%
  1. MAJOR METAL

MAJOR METAL The Beagle Father Staff Member Supporting Member

Greetings and Salutations Star Trek fans:

Which Star Trek series do you prefer, Deep Space Nine or Voyager? It took me a while to warm up to DS9 but after Worf joined the cast it really took off. Without a doubt, I prefer DS9 to Voyager.

2. Morning Beer

Morning Beer

Oct 2, 2009
    Cleveland
    Ds9> voyager
    TNG> anything trek

3. mellowinman

mellowinman Free Man

Oct 19, 2011
    Minneapolis
    TNG was one of my favorite shows/movie series of all time. TOS was something I watched since childhood, and also a serious favorite. Voyager was watchable, and had its moments. I actually liked Kate Mulgrew, and thought it was a decent show. Deep Space Nine left me cold. I think it's because they weren't actually traveling through space. I mean, they had that Rene guy who was on Benson, and lots of cool ideas, but I didn't watch the whole series, and it just wasn't a favorite. I never watched more than two episodes of "Enterprise," because it just never hooked me, and I saw the first re-boot movie, and thought it was mostly forgettable.

Never saw the newest film.

4. I liked DS9, but it was a very different format. Voyager was good and continued in the same vein as TOS and TNG.

I remember seeing an interview with Sir Patrick Stewart, where he says he was told not to get too comfortable in the US, because everyone thought TNG was going to flop, how wrong they were!

Need to watch some more Enterprise at some point. It has a few annoying continuity issues too.

5. Morning Beer

Morning Beer

Oct 2, 2009
    Cleveland
    Never liked enterprise, just something about it. Don't even get me started on the Abram's movies.

6. uOpt

uOpt

Jul 21, 2008
    Boston, MA, USA
    Voyager has extended periods of suckage, DSN is overall better. Voy has it's moments, especially around the "they didn't respond to diplomacy" theme. But there's also some bad acting in there and IMHO the captain is a weak point. DSN has an almost good captain. They go a great job painting the different cultures (Klingons, Romulans, Cardassians). Better villain, Dukat is good.

Also, the whole topic of Voy is bogus. They fly straight home in the fastest ship anyone has, and yet they meet the same people all the time?

7. Gorn

Gorn

Dec 15, 2011
    Queens, NY
    That's a tough question. I think ds9 was more epic. It didn't get old as fast. Ds9 had a major interstellar war to keep things interesting. Plus the ending of voyager was weak. Boom, the Borg sphere exploded and yay! Voyager's home! And I completely agree about ds9 getting better once worf showed up. I always liked the worf-centric tng and ds9 episodes.

8. Nikoubis

Nikoubis

May 3, 2007
    Athens, Greece
    As well as what is commonly accepted to be the worst Star Trek episode ever.

9. My wife and I are watching TOS in order on Hulu Plus right now. It's been a lot of fun. As for the newer ones, only TNG ever really hooked me, I thought that was a great show with compelling characters. I could watch DS9, but never really did so continuously. The poster who mentioned the interstellar war was right, that was a good backdrop for the action. The other versions I never cared for at all.

10. Gorn

Gorn

Dec 15, 2011
    Queens, NY
    No commercials on netflix.

11. Sav'nBass

Sav'nBass Supporting Member

Jan 18, 2009
    Northern Va.
    Voyager was OK.. I liked DS9 better.. I thought the story lines were better. The ting with Voyager and most Trek series in general was A) It was just too clean.. everything was spotless.. even the bars were spotless... B5 had a leg up on Trek in that respect and B)This applied especially to Voyager but to most of the series ... It always killed me that they could easily figure out how to operate any machinery on any planet ... which to me seemed very illogical.

Be all that as it may be I was a Trek fan since 67-68...

I still think that BSG (next Gen) & Firefly are the best Sci Fi TV series ever though..

12. Couldn't agree more. Never watched the new BSG until about 6 months ago, but when I started I just marathon'd it over about a month on Netflix, great show!

Firefly, well, needs no explanation!

13. never could get into DS9, enjoyed Voyager.

14. Nikoubis

Nikoubis

May 3, 2007
    Athens, Greece
    Every time I discuss TV series, I do so under the assumption that Firefly is the greatest thing ever, so far above the rest that no comparison is even possible. :D

15. Gorn

Gorn

Dec 15, 2011
    Queens, NY
    Firefly and Babylon 5 were some of the best science fictions shows ever, though they dragged on B5 for longer than necessary, resulting in a crappy last season. It sucks that Firefly was only 14 episodes but at least it never got a chance to get bad.

16. Firefly isn't the only one to have been cut short either. There was a great sci-fi during the mid-90s called "Space: Above and Beyond"

It looks pretty dated now, but was really enjoyable show. Apparently the story was planned to be played out over 5 seasons, but it was cut after the first. Unsurprisingly move by Fox. Fox basically gave it a crappy timeslot (after football IIRC) and as such it was always started at different times and on occasion I think a few episodes weren't even aired, just like how they screwed up the initial broadcasts of Firefly. SAAB had some great guest characters, generally uncredited, R. Lee Ermey, David Duchovny (at the peak of the X-Files) and even Coolio (yes, a very 90's series!).

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Space:_Above_and_Beyond

17. Gorn

Gorn

Dec 15, 2011
    Queens, NY
    I'm surprised I never heard of that one. I always loved 90's TV sci fi. Anyone remember Time Trax?
    MV5BMTU2NzQ3MzU1NV5BMl5BanBnXkFtZTcwNTY5OTEyMQ@@._V1_SX214_.

18. I completely agree. Think about the interior of any Federation ship or station in any Star Trek series. Not one scratch, not one speck of dirt anywhere. Now think about the interior of the Nostromo in the original Alien movie. Stuff is greasy and dented, tools are piled up in corners, etc. Which do you think more closely resembles a real commercial or military vessel after years and years of service?

OK, end of rant. Star Trek isn't a show you watch if you want "real". And back on topic, I much preferred DS9 to Voyager. I thought the characters were much more convincing and the story lines were more interesting.

Attached Files:

19. I'd say it's still worth a look-see! (just try to overlook the 20 y/o CGI in parts).

(at the very least cut to about 21:30, a bit surreal, but still good for a chuckle!)

Time Trax isn't one I remember, shall check it out!

20. "Deep Sleep 9" earned that name.

"Voyager" could have been really good. I liked it a lot but it got sucked into the "Gilligan's Island" trap. If they ever made it back, the show is over.

I also got really irritated with Rick Berman trying to shove time travel into everything. (And yes, it has been confirmed by Berman as well as outside sources, he was the source of all the time travel crap)

I don't mind time travel stories if they are done well. Berman made it too easy. "We have an unsolvable problem. Well travel into the future and get a solution for it." Which is how "Voyager" ended (Well, technically, future Janeway sent stuff to the past..)

And "Enterprise" even had a "Temporal Cold War".

The amount of "time travel" related stuff increases after Rodenberry's death when Berman took over.

The original series had 4 time travel episodes

TNG had 9 (possible 12 I don't count three of them because one was and "Alternate dimension, and the others were Q's doing so they may or may not have been time travel. could have be Q' just messing with Picard's head)

DS9 had 11

Voyager: had 12

Enterprise: Had 11 specific episode that the time traveled on but starting with the Xindi it was pretty much a constant plot line..

I don't care much for time travel stuff.. I'm not sure if that came through in the post. :)