1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

DSM OCSD DI out vs. using it with a direct box

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by jacoby75, Apr 22, 2019.

1. jacoby75

jacoby75 Supporting Member

Mar 11, 2010
    Coldwater, MI
    Endorsing Artist: Mike Lull Custom Guitars, DR Strings
    Hey guys,

I'm a big fan . . . biiiiiiiiiig fan . . . of my DSM OCSD. I'm not asking this particular question because I have had any issue with it. More out of curiosity. And also because I'm always looking for reasons to spend money on more pedals and toys that I don't really need.

I know some have expressed that phantom power when accidentally or intentionally sent to the OCSD's DI out can fry the OCSD. I often play in churches with untrained or under trained sound engineers, so this gives me cause for concern. I have thought about buying one of those phantom power blockers. But I have also considered, just for the heck of it, buying a good passive direct box with a big 'ol transformer and running the OCSD into that. Maybe something like a Radial JDI or the PRO DI. Has anyone tried this? Is there a noticeable improvement - or even a difference - between using the direct out of the OCSD vs. a good direct box?

Thanks

Last edited: Apr 22, 2019
  2. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Apr 18, 2021