1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Dsp to split my signal into different frequency ranges?

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by gerry81611, Mar 7, 2013.

1. gerry81611

gerry81611 Supporting Member

Oct 16, 2012
    Hi!

After years of going for an upright sound I'm shifting things and want to use my bass to generate tones for electronic music. I was talking with a sound engineer friend who suggested that the first thing I do is find an outboard DSP that will take my analog input and split it into 4 or 5 analog outputs, with each output a different frequency range.

I have never really messed with effects before and google just returned stuff on standard effects pedals.

Can anyone give me information on what kind of hardware I should look for or better google terms than "bass guitar dsp"?

If there is a better forum to ask this in please suggest it!

Thanks very much,

Gerry

2. bongomania

bongomania Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Oct 17, 2005
    PDX, OR
    owner, OVNIFX and OVNILabs
    Depends on the rest of your system. If you are willing to stay in the digital realm, there are plenty of crossover plugins that will split and route your signal all kinds of ways. But you'd need a dedicated 8-output audio interface in order to send 5 analog outputs.

If you intend to stay outside the computer, you might be able to find a digital hardware crossover with four or more analog outputs. Look at the brand Ashly. Also look into speaker management units like the dbx Driverack.

Of course in all cases, remember you need a mixer, too, to sum it all back together.

3. gerry81611

Oct 16, 2012
    Thanks!

The only equipment that I have right now is a motu 8pre and my Mac, so I think I can choose whether to stay digital or stay outside the computer.

However the inputs on the 8pre are xlr, so if I choose to use that I would need a crossover that outputs analog. I'm fine with swapping it for different hardware if staying digital after the crossover is better.

All things being equal I'd rather use my Mac, but for all I know when I figure this stuff out and start performing I might need hardware pedals, etc.

Thank you for your advice!

4. gerry81611

Oct 16, 2012
    Thank you! I will check that out!