Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

DT-Metropolis 2: Scenes From A Memory

Discussion in 'Recordings [BG]' started by Doug, Aug 10, 2000.

1. Doug

Doug

Apr 5, 2000
    Buffalo, N.Y.
    Anyone else heard this one yet. I think it's their best work since Images and Words. Of course, I'm a sucker for the whole concept album thing. I put this up there as one of the better concept albums I have heard in awhile. I kmow many people find them a little to progressive, inc. myself at times, but this album has it all, without going overboard with the extended jams. Also love the sound of Myung on "Home". I believe he's using a Chapman Stick, but I could be wrong. Labrie shows alot of emotion on this album, in his signing, as well. The band has also bettered themselves with the addition of Jordan Rudess on keyboards, who happens to be one of the more talented keyboardist's around.

Hopefully they'll swing by this way so I can catch them.

Keeping my fingeres crossed.

2. Yogi Bear

Yogi Bear Supporting Member

Aug 14, 2000
    Scenes from a Memory is an incredible album, and as it was already said the playing by all of the members of DT on this one is top notch. I'm totally psyched, I'm going to see them tonight with Spock's Beard opening up for them. Talk about a great double bill!!!!

3. Doug

Doug

Apr 5, 2000
    Buffalo, N.Y.
    You lucky SOB. Let me know how it goes. Your'e in for a treat!

4. Yogi Bear

Aug 14, 2000
    The last time I saw DT was when they played a triple bill with ELP and Deep Purple and as usual they were awesome. I'm really looking forward to this show because of this new material and the fact that they are playing a much smaller venue. Not to mention that I've never seen Spocks Beard play live before.

5. Yogi Bear

Aug 14, 2000

They absolutely kicked ass. I've seen them before a few times in the past, but now with Jordan Rudess they seemed even better than before. John Myung's playing was totally awesome, he didn't miss a beat. After playing for a solid two hours they came out for an encore and played Change of Seasons from start to finish. Definitely one of the best shows that I have ever seen.

[Edited by Farley on 08-24-2000 at 08:02 AM]

6. Acacia

Acacia

Apr 26, 2000
    Austin, TX
    i stopped listening to them after Images and Words. zzzzzzz....When Dream and Day Unite will always be my fave by them.

7. Doug

Doug

Apr 5, 2000
    Buffalo, N.Y.
    Sean, I'll agree that some of their stuff was a little to proggy, but this new album really rocks.

8. john turner

john turner You don't want to do that. Trust me. Staff Member Administrator

Mar 14, 2000
    atlanta ga
    i'm with sean on this one, although i think the first singer (i can hear beavis saying "dominici dominici") smoked pole. still, though, the music on day and dream really rocked.

i'm getting really tired of portnoy. i mean, don't get me wrong, i favor drummers who aggressively "overplay" - my 2 favorite drummers are terry bozzio and neil peart. but portnoy needs to learn a little taste. i listened ot sfam a few times, and there are ballad-type songs on their where he is playing double-bass fills. that's just not my thing.

the concert was pretty cool, but there again, portnoy's attitude came through again. there was this section where portnoy made this big exaggerated yawn, during what i guess was a "boring" section of a song, much to the delight of the air drummers in the audience - i guess he just couldn't wait to "release the hounds". :rolleyes: seemed a bit cheezy to me.

9. Yogi Bear

Aug 14, 2000
    I know which ballad you're refering to on SFAM and I agree with you in that the double bass is a bit much. At their concert he seemed a bit arrogant up there compared to the others, although he did play some pretty incredible stuff. I also am a huge fan of Terry Bozzio's. The guy has an incredible style. Most recently I love the work he did on the Explorers Club album with Billy Sheehan on bass. Not to mention Black Light Syndrome with Tony Levin and Steve Stevens

10. He's got all the chops in the world, but no voice. To my ears, he doesn't make the drums "sing" like players like Peart or Bozzio do, or Nick DeVirgilio, speaking of Spock's Beard. (My favorite band at the moment). Please everyone, check these guys out!!! And if you ever get to meet Dave Meros, give him some skulls. He loves them. (No, not real human ones, unless you have one to spare :rolleyes: :D)

And what's with Portnoy spitting water all over the rest of the band during the shows?? Is he still doing this? Get over yourself, man, and try to learn when NOT to play. Jeez.

(Sorry for the rant, you guys got me going...)

11. Yogi Bear

Aug 14, 2000
    I just saw DT last Monday the 14th, and yes Portnoy still spits water all over the band. Speaking of the show, Spock's Beard opened for them and they were tight. From what I understand though was that Dave Meros wasn't with them. They're one of my fav's as well. Neil Morse is one of the main reason why I bought the Transatlantic album.

12. john turner

Mar 14, 2000
    atlanta ga
    there is supposed to be a new black light syndrome album out, and for those of us aware of magna carta bands (hi stingray :D) bozzio also played on a recent magellan album. cool stuff.

there was a recent interview with portnoy in an online magazine (metlasludge.com) and he showed himself to be a total and complete a$$hole. it was pretty bad. they asked him a question : "if we paid you $100,000,000, would you press a button that would destroy india and kill everyone there?" and he said he'd do it for 1/10th as much.

13. john turner

Mar 14, 2000
    atlanta ga
    man, i've seen them 5 times, and i didn't know he did _that_. what a total jerkoff. if i was in that band and he spit on me, i'd shove a big bass down his throat.

why do great musicians have to be ruined by arrogance? do they really think they are better people just because they can play fast?

14. Doug

Doug

Apr 5, 2000
    Buffalo, N.Y.
    As much as I like DT, Portnoy does have an ego problem. He's been known to put down other progressive bands in the past.

15. Ha ha ha ha!

Actually, to their credit I do get all their other releases sent to me for free. Got the BLS yesterday but haven't listened to it yet. Too busy changing diapers (for my BABY, not me!!)

So I guess there are SOME fringe benefits... :)

16. Acacia

Acacia

Apr 26, 2000
    Austin, TX
    I too am a huge fan of bozzio, but never considered him an overplayer. or peart (a great drummer that bores me) for that matter. bozzio's clinic in 93 blew me away completely. and he was one of the nicest 'famous' musicians i have ever met.

portnoy is an overplayer, as is his wannabe buddy Mark Zonder (fates warning). tyeah, both are badasses, but as someone said, learn when NOT to play.

17. Yogi Bear

Aug 14, 2000
    I know that this may be breaking away from the DT/Portnoy topic a bit, but as long as we are talking about drummers I would have to say that may other favorites that I feel know when and what to play at the right time would have to be Bill Bruford, and Rod Morgenstein. Just my .02

18. john turner

Mar 14, 2000
    atlanta ga
    yeah, agree on those two, farley.

hey sean, what did you think of clive burr? i know i am saying heresy, but i sorta liked what he did better than nicko, though i really like nicko. he was no stranger to the tom-tom. :D

19. Doug

Doug

Apr 5, 2000
    Buffalo, N.Y.
    Clive Burr? He's good, but Nikko is the man.

20. Acacia

Acacia

Apr 26, 2000
    Austin, TX
    burr was fine for a solid repetetive drummer. burr was formulated. he would repeat the same fill over and over throughout a particular song. he had great hands though. ever hear any of his post maiden stuff? most of it is a sleep inducer. Stratus is about the only good thing I have heard him do since. Stay away from Elixir and Desperados (with bernie Torme and Dee Snider) unless you are a hard core collector.

Nicko has the freeform style and the right foot over burr. hell, nicko has the right foot over most anyone I have ever heard.

I was fortunate enough to meet Nicko at a clinic in 2/97. He let me play his kit. I was rather nervous. I do still have an unopened Heineken that he signed and gave to me (I was 17)..it's rather chunky now. :D