Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

DTR-1 or 2?

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by BoognishMang, Dec 22, 2001.

1. what is the major differences between the two. the dtr-1 sell for about 75 bucks more (roughly) used. just got a 4 space flight case. head takes up 2 spaces, gonna put a power conditionerin one other space, that leaves 1 space for a tuner.
    any recommendations?

2. ...is this in the wrong place? or just no opinions?

3. snyderz

snyderz

Aug 20, 2000
    AZ mountains
    Hi Boog,
    I'm not an expert on tuners, but www.korg.com gives the specs on both the DTR1 & 2. Basically just a few more bells and whistles on the DTR1. There have been a few threads on TB about tuners, so you might check that out too in the search section. Happy holidays.
    Doc

4. lo-end

lo-end

Jun 15, 2001
    PA
    I think the DTR-1 is better because of the strobe mode. I would pay the extra money for that feature alone :D

Plus I think it is more accurate than the DTR-2 and it picks up the B string quicker.

5. DTR 1 has a big LED display which tells the note.. that's the only actual advantage over the DTR-2 imho..

6. I agree, with AllodoX, the only difference is the big led display. I am getting the DTR-2 just because I think it does the same thing as the DTR-1, just without the Strobe mode.

And hey whats up with Korg, why are the DTR-1, and 2 now the Tone Works DTR-1, and 2? Did Korg change their name/get bought out?

7. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego

8. I would opt for the DTR-1. I am a big fan of strobe tuning, and I was pretty disappointed when I realized that the -2 that I bought didn't have that feature. :mad: That's what I get for not asking the right questions. The note LED is also pretty nice.

If you can stand to not have a rack tuner, the Boss TU-2 pedal tuner has many of the features of the -1, you can position it such that you don't have to turn around in order to tune, you don't need to use your hands to mute your signal, and it costs about 50% less. YMMV

9. EString

EString

Nov 20, 2000
    Los Altos, CA
    The DTR-1 is better because it has more cool lights and buttons.

Never spare any expense when adding lights and buttons to your rig.

10. Ryan L.

Ryan L. Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Aug 7, 2000
    West Fargo, ND
    You like pretty lights in your rack too??:D

But, alas, I don't have the one with more lights. I have the DTR-2:( .

But it does do the job for me just fine.;)

11. A Rock

A Rock

Mar 18, 2001
    New Haven, CT
    i went for the dtr 2
    i dunno...120 bux extra just for the LED display?...c'mon!

12. Exactly I mean come on guys, this is a stupid argument. When you boil it all down, theyre both <b>tuners</b> One might have a few more bells and whistles(and lights), but they are both tuners, but extremely accurate tuners at that. The DTR-1 has nothing that is so great that would make me shell out an extra $120 for it over my DTR-2.

13. Ryan L.

Ryan L. Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Aug 7, 2000
    West Fargo, ND
    True. Exactly why I have the 2.

14. Phat Ham

Phat Ham

Feb 13, 2000
    DC
    The DTR-1 also has a cable checker thingy. IMO all the extra bells and whistles are worth the extra money, but whether or not you really need the extra bells and whistles is up to the buyer.

15. RAM

RAM

May 10, 2000
    Chicago, IL
    I'll admit I bought my DTR-1 instead of the DTR-2 because of the cool lights and display. The differences, as others stated, are the extras on the "1" over the "2".

If you're looking and have a few extra bucks, go to Korg's website and compare the two. It's more than simply a note-display, strobe tuning, and cable checking features.;)

16. BigBohn

BigBohn

Sep 29, 2001
    WPB, Florida
    DTR 1 is cool and all, but the value is in the DTR 2.

17. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    Whichever one you get, rack it up and leave it on while you're playing. It drives the audience nuts trying to figure out what the hell it is.

18. i would say dtr-2.. why? cause it is only a tuner not fireworks ;)

19. do any of you know how the new Sabine rack tuners compare? or how much they're going for? They're now shipping, so surly some of you have to know somthing about them.

20. This is a pretty old thread, but I did a search on the tuners and here is my question.

I have a Tone Works DTR2 rack tuner. I love it.
    My question is, can I leave it on all the time when I'm playing? (I see Mungie does) I have been doing this and it doesn't seem to hurt the unit, but I don't know if this is the best practice or not. The tuning light just goes back and fourth constantly and I was curious if this will affect the life of the light or not. Can the light source be replaced if it does quit?

Tanks...many....