Dual 112 Shootout (Epi vs Aggie)

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by LDV, Aug 2, 2003.

1. LDV

Aug 2, 2003
    San Diego, CA
    I'm trying to decide between the Epi 112 and the Aguilar 112. I will usually be using a 2 x 112 configuration. I use a Mesa M-Pulse 600. Weight matters. I like a strong punchy midrange and need powerful lows for some situations.

Any opinions on the pros and cons of each. Your opinions mean alot, since I cannot find one dealer in my area that has both brands for me to try, or 2 of each speaker in stock.

Thanks very much.
  2. BillyB_from_LZ

BillyB_from_LZ Supporting Member

Sep 7, 2000
    I believe that someone here couldn't decide between the two so he bought one of each and found that they really complimented one another well.
  3. LDV

Aug 2, 2003
    San Diego, CA
    Maybe the question is better stated not as which one is better, but rather HOW do these two great cabs differ from one another. How do they handle lows, mids, highs, color, clarity, durability and so on...
  4. jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PA
    the Epi's are incredibly clean and articulate. airy and open sounding. yet, has a nice dark kick in the low mids. more hifi.

the Aguilar's are overall darker, more bassy, with a thick, churny midrange kinda sound. more vintage.

build wise, both are top notch. the Aguilar is noticibly lighter, and the spring loaded handle on the side is great for moving. the Epifani definitely feels heavier, but also more solidly built. but the leather strap on the top turns me off, cause its pretty uncomfortable using it to pick up the cab.

but by and by, both are great sounds. just depends what you want.
  5. Brian Barrett

Brian Barrett

Nov 25, 2001
    Murfreesboro, TN (Nashville)
    Dealer LowEndBassShop.com, Builder LowEndBasses.com
    I'd have to vote for the Epifani! Thick, punchy and clear. I'm not a fan or a colored cab! Why spend money on a good bass to not hear it, but rather the color of the cab!

The Epifani will smoke the aguilar in volume output and depth as well and 2 112's will play pretty much anything you ever need.

my .02
  6. LDV

Aug 2, 2003
    San Diego, CA
    What about buying an Epi 112 and using it together with my existing (and therefore "free") SWR Jr. Goliath II 2x10? Is that stupid? Will the SWR's older design take away from the overall sound?
  7. narud

narud Supporting Member

Mar 15, 2001
    santa maria,california
    epi's are still colored as are most cabs. its just about what shade you prefer.
  8. LDV

Aug 2, 2003
    San Diego, CA
    One the Epi 112 - Does the leather strap on the top of the cabinet 1) get in the way of stacking two cabinets, and 2) get in the way of an amp sitting on top?
  9. jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PA
    in the way of the other amp? no. in the way of the MPulse, prolly not, but if you had a smaller head like the walkabout, then maybe. but its not that inconvenient and would just be splitting hairs.
  10. tombowlus

tombowlus If it sounds good, it is good Gold Supporting Member

Apr 3, 2003
    North central Ohio
    Editor-in-Chief, Bass Gear Magazine
    I have two Epi T-112's and one T-110UL. I power all three with my Walkabout (or, like this past weekend, with my Navigator/PLX 3002). I really like the sound of these cabs. I initially bought one T-112 and the T-110UL, and this pairing was very similar in frequency range, volume, tonal balance, and articulation to the Accugroove Mini Whappo (which might have been my choice if I wasn't going for the utmost in portability and flexibility). Yes, the Epifani's are colored, but not to the extent that many other cabs are. The Accugrooves are remarkably uncolored, and the Epi's just had a hint of coloration by comparison. And by this I mean that the Accugrooves would sound totally different with different instruments, and the Epi's would retain a bit of their own sound, along with the nuances of the different instruments.

At any rate, I feel that the T-110UL really adds a lot to the articulation, speed, and mid-high balance, but without the T-112, the T-110UL is lacking in the low end department. When I added a second T-112, it was the slightly older, narrower model, which has more mids, but not quite as deep lows, as the newer, wider one I have. Together, though, these three cabs really complement each other. The tweeters on the Epifanis are really beautiful, too. I was never really a fan of tweeters, and would always turn them down on my prior cabs, but I love my Epi tweets!

Please note that I have not made a comparison to the Aggies. I think Joker has you covered there, though.

11. j-raj

j-raj Bassist: Educator/Soloist/Performer Staff Member Supporting Member

Jan 14, 2003
    Atlanta, GA!
    I really like the Aguilar GS 112!

Granted the only Epi's I have tried-out are the 310's... I actually thought that was a great cab, but we aren't talking about that one.

When I researched the stats/specs on the Epi 112... I really didn't like the weight, that handle or the price. IMHO ... and that is enough to deter me prior to a 'play-thru' (again IMHO).

*On a whim I bought the Aggie from a fellow TB'er, and it sings! I'm getting another one to go with it. The weight is somewhere around 39-42 pounds, the Handle is rugged & well-placed and that tone really worked for me. I could not beleive the low-end that came from it and how clearly my upper register stuff came out.

I'm using the (1)GS112 (right now) with an SWR Bass 350 and it is great, I will need something a little more, when I get the second one. I bet the Mesa M-Pulse 600 with 2x 112 is gonna kick arse!! Let us know about that when you do follow through with the set-up.