Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Dual amp setup

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by Chris_AtariDoll, Sep 2, 2003.

1. Chris_AtariDoll

Chris_AtariDoll

Dec 8, 2001
    UK
    not sure if this should be in Amps or FX

I am due to play a gig in a few weeks with a friends band supporting, we are both gear freeks so we are planning on using both our rigs (Warwick Pro Fet IV + 2x10 and 1x15 for fx and a similar Trace rig for clean)

We are planing on using a Boss line selector to switch the signal to the amps... can you see any problems with the setup???

[​IMG]

Also as for sending signal to the desk... would it be better to DI or mic??? I was thinking DI for Fx and mic for clean.... any ideas?

2. your plan sounds foolproof to me

3. wulf

wulf

Apr 11, 2002
    Oxford, UK
    Are you planning to switch between amps depending on whether you want a clean or FX sound? I think that could be a little confusing, both in terms of hearing yourself (and being heard by the rest of the band) onstage and for the person on the sound desk, who's going to have to find two channels for bass, only one of which will be active at one time (if they turn down the quiet channel, then suddenly the bass will drop out entirely as you switch).

I think you might get a better sound by using one amp for FX and the other for a clean sound at the same time. When the FX are switched off, you'll just have the richness of more cabinets and two amps with slightly different timbres - when the FX are on, you don't loose the bass while still having the sound of your FX in the mix (more like a bi-amp solution with FX only on the high end, except both amps are taking full range signals).

Wulf

4. Chris_AtariDoll

Chris_AtariDoll

Dec 8, 2001
    UK
    I'm using alot of synth fx mith my band... how will they sound on top of a clean sound?

My fx are:
    Ibanez SB7 Synth
    Digitech Synth Bass (has clean and dirty outputs)
    Digitech Bass Driver (has clean and dirty outputs)
    Boss Tuner Pedal (has mute and bypass outs)

What would be the best way of wiring this lot up???

5. wulf

wulf

Apr 11, 2002
    Oxford, UK
    I don't know how that particular set of pedals will sound - it might just be a case of trying it and seeing what you think. As a rule of thumb, set the effects to more extreme levels than you would normally use if you've got a clean signal from another amp at the same time. Mind you, I don't know how you would wire it - does your signal splitter pedal give a 'both at once' option?

What was the through behind the original idea? If you either have all of the pedals on or all of them off, then it might be handy - if you often have at least one (but rarely all) of the pedals on, it will be less useful.

Again, if one of the amps really comes alive with a clean sound while the other loves the FX, then I can understand - if not, you might be better just having the second rig up there as a backup. Are you going to have a chance to try it before hitting the stage for the gig?

Wulf

6. Chris_AtariDoll

Chris_AtariDoll

Dec 8, 2001
    UK
    Well we have both used each others amps in deferent situations... and it turns out that me both think that the trace has the best clean sound and the warwick handles the synth type fX better.. so the idea was that they would be doing what they do best. The gig is at the end of the month so ill let you know what happens... mite see if can get together with my mate before to try out a few ideas.