Dual Band Compression

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by The B, Apr 3, 2005.

1. The B

The B

Feb 13, 2005
    Del Rio, Texas
    I am going to be getting the Digitech Bass Squeeze Dual Band Compression Pedal *gasps for air*...and i kinda understand the way it works, but i would like to know what the deal is with compressing the top half above the crossover point would be. I heard that Dual band compressors were overally better, and i trust digitech since i own the bass driver. I bought it to even out the fatness of all the strings, but why would i compress the top. What would be pros and cons; if you could kinda explaing that it would be just awesome. Thanks a lot!!!!

Keep Bassin'!!!

The B - Adrian
  2. The Clap

The Clap

Jan 5, 2004
    Scottsdale, AZ
    Generally, since a bass guitar puts out so much more low frequency energy than high frequency energy, and compression reacts to the loudness of the overall signal, the bass is what gets squashed in compression. As one example, some guitars will have notes and spots on the fretboard that sound with much more bass energy than others, and you'll find that a compressor working on the full signal will squash that note more than the others, because the bass response is initially larger. If you only have a compressor work from somewhere between maybe 100-200hz and up, you can often eliminate this unwanted byproduct of compression. There's an application for everything though, and many compressors work well for basses with a full range signal.

Essentially, the low mids to highs are what you probably want to compress. And if you want to compress your lows too, it's often best to do it separately like this and some other configurations allow.
  3. Jazz Ad

Jazz Ad Mi la ré sol Gold Supporting Member Supporting Member

Compressing highs prevents eardrum implosions in the five first ranks of the audience, especially with active basses.
  4. Lockout

Dec 24, 2002
    Wait... I always thought dual-band compressors for bass were designed primarily to compress the lows while leaving the highs intact?
  5. Tash

Feb 13, 2005
    Bel Air Maryland
    They are usually used this way on guitars, expecially when doing high gain solo type stuff where any small bits of lows will make things too muddy.
  6. Arthur U. Poon

Arthur U. Poon

Jan 30, 2004
    SLC, Utah -USA-
    Endorsing Artist: Mike Lull Custom Basses
    I'm really considering putting a compressor/limiter in between my preamp and amp to protect my speakers. In all the years I've played I've never used any kind of signal processing. I'm leaning towards the Rane DC24.

Is the DC24 a good compressor/limiter?
  7. The B

The B

Feb 13, 2005
    Del Rio, Texas
    So i can use the dual band to leave the highs intact, or actually boost them in a way to match the lows?
  8. AlembicPlayer

AlembicPlayer Im not wearing shorts

Aug 15, 2004
    Pacific Northwet, USA
    I'm using one in my rack..and it's a fantastic piece.
    I like the auto attack and release feature as well as the x-over dual band compression. I use it right before the amplifier..for the same reason you've stated.

buy it and add it to your rig with confidence..it's a worthy piece. :hyper:
  9. danomite64

Nov 16, 2004
    Tampa, Florida
    I've got a Trace dual band comp, and I think I compress the highs more, and the lows less. That way squeezing the highs doesn't blur the lows. But if you guys want blurry lows and ear-bleeding highs, who am I to judge? :)
  10. The B

The B

Feb 13, 2005
    Del Rio, Texas
    So I would want to compress the highs a little more to make things more evenly fat?
  11. Arthur U. Poon

Arthur U. Poon

Jan 30, 2004
    SLC, Utah -USA-
    Endorsing Artist: Mike Lull Custom Basses
    Cool, I went ahead and ordered one. It will be a few weeks, my dealer didn't have one in stock.

- Art
  12. msquared

Sep 19, 2004
    Kansas City
    What you would want to do is experiment and find out what works best for your individual style, your equipment, and the music that you're playing. There's a reason that there are knobs and stuff instead of just one switch.

FWIW, my experience with the Trace SMX is the opposite of danomite's. I compress the lows and leave the highs mostly alone, and find that my sound is anything but blurry or ear-bleeding. But I'm sure that his setup sounds fine or he wouldn't do it that way.
  13. danomite64

Nov 16, 2004
    Tampa, Florida
    After playing through another of my amps last night, I realize that some amps need the low end copressed more than others do. :) My Portabass rig is not prone to boominess, which is why I only needed to squish the highs a bit, but my old Musicman is boomy, so I have to compress both highs and lows on it. My Mesa rig is the best of them; I could probably get by w/o compression on it; when I was borrowing an Accugroove El Whappo Jr cab and using the Mesa head, there was no need to compress at all.
  14. jetsetvet

jetsetvet Banned

Mar 24, 2005
    here is what I thought on another thread:

15. el_Kabong

Jul 11, 2005
    Hey JSV, re limiters, don't laugh but the limiters in the dreaded behringer composers are actually very good. Very fast and amazingly (amazed me anyhow) transparent. I use them in my home studio to avoid digital clipping on my DAW when tracking drums. They are inaudible catching a 3db over, audible but ok at around 6db and fall to bits at 12db (but that's a pretty major over!). Don't care much for the compressor, though I've actually liked the result on some keyboard patches, but the limiters are good. And cheap!
  16. SteveC

Nov 12, 2004
    North Dakota