1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Dual Channel amps.. What's out there?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by zackthompson, Feb 14, 2013.

1. I'm trying to find some dual channel amps, but I'm having a hard time finding some that aren't discontinued. What are the current two input, two channel amps on the market?

2. eight0eight

eight0eight

May 31, 2009
    Boston MA
    Check out the Genz Benz Shuttle Max series. High quality stuff.

3. hamertek98

hamertek98

Apr 3, 2004
    Indiana
    Epifini had one. Tech 21 has one. There's others, I'm just too tired to remember them at the moment. What's your needs? A Radial Tonebone may help.

4. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    SVT-VR.

5. nshuman

nshuman

Sep 4, 2012
    Montreal, Qc, Canada
    ccp
    Phil Jones has a few

6. Wally Malone

Wally Malone

Mar 9, 2001
    Boulder Creek, CA
    AFM International Representative Endorsing Artist: Accugroove Cabinets & MJC Ironworks Strings
    I have a GB ShuttleMax 9.2 that i hope arrives tomorrow. I did get an A/B pedal to use with it as well so that I can use both of the preamps and have two separate instruments for doubling without unplugging.

Wally

7. eight0eight

eight0eight

May 31, 2009
    Boston MA
    I love my ShuttleMax 9.2! Was using the mix channel option the other night with dual effects loops to create some monstrous fuzz tones!

You might also want to check out the Tech 21 VT Deluxe which is a pedal/preamp. It allows foot-switching between 2 inputs if you're looking to have an easy way to swap basses mid-set.

A more detailed description of what you're looking to do would help.

8. Fender Super Bassman and 100T are you're best bet. Both have clean channel, dirty channel and blend of the two. Footswitchable!

9. pbasswil

pbasswil

Feb 17, 2008
    I play both electric and acoustic bass in the same show sometimes.

For a while I was using an A/B footswitch to alternate between them into the same single channel Carvin amp head. I also flicked on or off the head's graphic EQ to allow for the different tone of my db.

I've just found a little mixer to replace the A/B switcher, in pedal form: Morley's Twin Mix. This lets me actively balance the input level between the two instruments. (Without the complication of setting up a little mixing board.) So now all I have to do is flick the head's graphic EQ on or off when I switch.

Incidentally, I send each bass to the PA separately so the sound guy can treat them in their own channel strips. I tap the signals with D.I. boxes before the inputs of the Twin Mix.

The reason I've opted for this strategy, instead of, say, a Shuttlemax, is that I occasionally want the 1200 watt (bridged 4 ohm) Carvin's extra power & headroom, just in case (outdoor stages, screaming guitars...).

10. wcriley

wcriley

Apr 5, 2010
    Western PA
    The Shuttlemax is a great amp, but as Wally and others have noted: it has a single input. An A/B switch is needed for switching between instruments without physically plugging/unplugging each of them.

11. tombowlus

tombowlus If it sounds good, it is good Gold Supporting Member

Apr 3, 2003
    North central Ohio
    Editor-in-Chief, Bass Gear Magazine
    There are more than you might think. What kind of instruments will you be using? What is your primary reason for wanting two inputs and two channels? What style of music and playing style? What cab(s) will you be using? What kinds/sizes of venues? What are your personal preferences?

12. modulusman

modulusman Banned

Jan 18, 2004
    montana
    Eden made the WT1205. Not sure if it is still in production. I had one of the first made and it had serious problems. Maybe they fixed them.

13. Off the top of my head, there are the Phil Jones D-600, the Euphonic Audio Doubler, and the Acoustic Image Clarus. The latter two are specifically designed with upright / electric doubling in mind. Also, if you can wait a bit, Warwick is coming out with its LWA 1000 soon, which will have two channels with separate mute switches.

14. I currently use 2 separate amp heads to split my Rickenbacker front and back pickups. However, it has gotten kind of annoying to carry around two amps everywhere. So having one amp with 2 channels would be ideal. With the ABY box, you can't eq each channel. Having 2 separate eqs is important.

Your questions.
    1. Rickenbacker 4003, or a 4 string in one input and a 5 in the other.

2. Using Ric-o-sound on the ricky/being able to switch between 2 basses easily.

3. Any and all haha. I do everything from rock to country to black gospel to funk and I even have an Afro-Kenyan project to play on soon haha. Fingerstyle, slap, palm muting. No picks for me. :bag:

4. I use a markbass 2x10 and a 1x15

5. Medium size venues and below. Nothing above 500 people.

6. at least 4 bands of eq would be nice. I like to have to control the low and high mids for those awful sounding rooms.

15. Oh and something halfway portable would be nice. Nothing SVT sized

16. john m

john m Supporting Member

Jan 15, 2006
    What works for me:

A GK1001 (or any amp with an aux in/effects return)

and a Fender Tube preamp.

I run one bass into the GK input, the other (often an EUB)
    into the Fender. The DI on the GK covers both "channels",
    so only one feed to the PA needed.

17. rtav

rtav Millionaire Stuntman, Half-Jackalope

Dec 12, 2008
    Chicago, IL
    My Trace Elliot AH500X (1984) has two 250 watt x 8 ohm amps in it; and the thing is a BEAST. If you run across one for sale, take a listen; I bought mine from here for less than $500 two years ago and love it.

18. I've never thought of using a preamp to the aux in on an amp. I didn't think the aux in could handle it. Do you ever have any problems with that setup?

19. john m

john m Supporting Member

Jan 15, 2006
    No problems--- just use your ears to set the gain.

In my particular setup, I have to crank the output of the Fender pre to get the signal hot enough. Once I get the input to the pre set, the Master volume on the GK becomes the boss.

Another thing I've use the return jack for on other amps is to get a signal off the bands mixer's aux out to get a little bit of what I can't hear on my side of the stage. Keyboards,
    vocals. Call it a half-assed monitor setup when there are none. Note--- an eq can also be placed in the chain.

20. dukeorock

dukeorock Owner BNA Audio Supporting Member Commercial User

Mar 8, 2011
    Nashville, TN
    Authorized greenboy designs builder/Owner of BNA Audio