dual channel fun

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by K Dubbs, Dec 2, 2003.

1. K Dubbs

K Dubbs Just graduated from OSU, Go Bucks!

Mar 16, 2002
    Toledo, Ohio
    How many folks here on talkbass have wondered why guitarrists get to have two-four channel amps each with eq sections and variable gain/distortion but bass players are majorily stuck with single channel setups with less than creative tonal varieties/options?

Why don't more manufacturers build not necessarily more complex heads, but ones with two tube driven channels, each with eq and gain, that are footswitchable?

The only options I've seen that somewhat fit the bill are:

Tech21 Landmark 600
    Trace Elliot TVT9 preamp (discontinued)
    Fender/Sunn 1200 and 300T
    Peavey Max preamp
    Raven Labs Universal preamp
    Ampeg SVT BSP preamp (discontinued)
    Probably a few more I'm forgetting

Am I way off base here? Has anybody else been wanting some multichannel lovin'?
  2. JMX

JMX Vorsprung durch Technik

Sep 4, 2000
    Cologne, Germany
    My preamp (Green Audio ME-1), while all solid-state, has two independant channels. One with a 10-band graphic EQ, the other with bass, treble and two fully parametric mids. This preamp is 15 years old, btw, and still going strong. Sadly the company went belly-up.
  3. BillyB_from_LZ

BillyB_from_LZ Supporting Member

Sep 7, 2000
    My Pearce BC-1 has two footswitchable channels...I have used it to dial in slight overdrive for a solo, but I could be happy with just one sound too...

Tech21 should come out with an enhanced preamp version of the Landmark head...an RBI and an Acoustic DI in one box.

Of course if you use a Bass POD Pro and a floor board you can have oodles and oodles of channels...
  4. ihixulu

ihixulu Supporting Member

Mar 31, 2000
    getting warmer
    I think Peavey's got a switchable preamp.. the Max?
  5. Yep, the Max has 2 channels. A tube channel, and solid state. Both channels can also be combined. This is a great preamp, I've been using one for awhile.
  6. The Tech21 Sansamp RBI can also be used to channel switch, if you have a second RBI.

RBI Page on Tech21nyc.com

A tempting consideration, for me.

7. CkB_Cowboy

Nov 30, 2003
    Boston, MA
    Since the Walter Woods has 2 seperate preamp channels (each with a separate input and EQ/gain controls, etc) I could get an audio A/B switch for it..

But it's fine for me the way it is right now, I don't use a lot of different sounds

- Cowboy
  8. SVT's have had two channels since 1969.
  9. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

The Eden Metro combo has two fooswitchable channels, one with a tube pre, one solid state. I don't know why they don't offer this as a head only option.
  10. It is available. I've seen it in stores, but it's listed as coming soon on the Eden web page.
    Eden Amps