1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Dual coil chrome??

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by topper, Apr 25, 2009.

1. Anybody know if anyone out there makes a dual coil pickup in chrome?

I'm thinking of something like a Gibson EB0 but with two coils.

2. RedLeg

RedLeg Supporting Member

Jan 24, 2009
    Kaiserslautern, Germany
    Nov Shmoz Ka Pop?
    closest thing i can think of was the dual lipstick that warwick offered a few years back on their flashback model

3. Never seen that before, but it looks sweet. Not quite what I'm looking for though.

Are the pups in a Hofner Beatle Bass dual coil?

4. SGD Lutherie

SGD Lutherie Banned Commercial User

Aug 21, 2008
    Bloomfield, NJ
    Owner, SGD Music Products
    EB-0 pickups do have two coils, but one row of poles.

I don't know of any. The DiMarzio model one used to have a chrome cover, or silver colored anyway.

5. Yeah, I guess I should be more specific. I'm looking for something I can coil tap, which I don't think you can do with the EB-0.

A DiMarzio Model One with a chrome cover would be exactly what I'm looking for. I didn't know they ever came that way. They're only listed as being available in black now on the Dimarzio website.

6. SGD Lutherie

Aug 21, 2008
    Bloomfield, NJ
    You can if you rewire it. I had 4 conductor wiring on mine.

They used to, not any more.

gene_simmons.

7. Just further proof Gene Rocks!

So if the EB-0 is four conductor I'd be in good shape. That would do exactly what I want. I'll look into that.

Thanks!

8. RedLeg

RedLeg Supporting Member

Jan 24, 2009
    Kaiserslautern, Germany
    Nov Shmoz Ka Pop?
  9. SGD Lutherie

Aug 21, 2008
    Bloomfield, NJ
    As I said, you need to rewire the Gibson pickup. It does not come wired for 4 conductors.

Also don't expect much of a change in tone, it sounds the way it sounds no matter how you wire it. It's a deep dark pickup.

I also rewound mine and added magnets.

10. I see, you meant you actually opened up the pup and attached new leads. I thought you just meant you re-wired the bass. Well, if there's not much change in tone for that pup there's not much sense in going down that road. Thanks for passing on what you learned from experience.

I guess the EB-0 pup isn't the way to go. I could take another dual coil pup and have the cover chromed as RedLeg suggested. I'll look into that and see what it would cost.

I really can't believe no one makes a pup like this. Seems like a hole in the market someone could fill.

11. So I got a quick down and dirty estimate on chroming some plastic pup covers from M&M Metalizing.

Cost is roughly $25 per pickup cover. Not bad really. This opens the door up for me for just about any pup.

12. SMG

SMG Supporting Member

Apr 17, 2000
    metro Detroit
    Artec makes a chrome covered version of their soapbar pickups. Have no idea how they sound. I am pretty sure they are the same dimension of EMG soapbars. Do an ebay search for Artec and you should find them, at least in the 3.5 inch (4 string) size.