1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Dual Concentric V/T Schematic Help? Schematic included

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by Antisyzygy, Mar 3, 2016.

1. Antisyzygy

Antisyzygy

Dec 8, 2014
    Washington
    I'm just about ready to solder this together, but I'm somewhat of an amateur so I was wondering if someone could double check this schematic before I go for it. I just don't want to have any oversights if I can avoid it. It's very appreciated!

Top side is neck pickup, bottom side is bridge pickup.

The 6.8k resistors after the tone pots are to prevent the resonant peak when near 0/10 on the tone pot.

The goal for this setup is to use the volume pots to isolate the tone pots (thanks SteveCS for the idea). That is when the volume pots are rolled off a little bit. When the volume pots are at 10/10 my understanding is the tone pots won't be isolated, but when volume is around 9/10 or lower the tone pots will be isolated. That is actually what I want.

Is there any advantage of using 500k pots for the volumes specific for this setup? I'm aware 500k vs 250k has been talked to death, but I'm asking for this specific application (e.g. tone isolation using volume knobs).

500k volume pots would add some extra resistance between the signal and ground when isolating the tone pots (by rolling down the volume pot a little) I believe. However I'm not sure if there is any advantage of doing that or not.

Doc - 3-3-16, 10-00 AM.

My parts list is :

Switchcraft Jack
    CTS concentric 250k/500k audio
    Sprague Orange Drop 0.015uf
    Sprague Orange Drop 0.022uf

Some higher-end 6.8k resistors from an audio supply company, they're pretty big resistors for some reason. Supposedly they have a higher power rating or something.

Of course I have wire too.

Last edited: Mar 3, 2016
  2. Antisyzygy

Antisyzygy

Dec 8, 2014
    Washington
    By the way, I modified this schematic from TB member RobbieK :

RobbieK VTVT.

And added the tone config from this one :

Screen Shot 2016-03-03 at 10.11.53 AM.

3. Antisyzygy

Antisyzygy

Dec 8, 2014
    Washington
    I went ahead and wired it up like my schematic.

This is going in a SB-2 which normally is equipped with 250k volumes, and NO tones. I think having 500k tone pots and 250k volumes makes it closer to the stock configuration.

Testing here soon. The only problem is that the multimeter I have is for auto work, so it doesn't have the ability to check capacitance. I can only measure resistance and that there are connections (or test battery load). I need a new multimeter.

The soldering job wasn't the best but I think I did alright. Normally I buy premade harnesses then only have to solder a few things in. The most I've done is add a switch or swap a tone control on an existing V/T harness. This is the first harness I made completely from scratch.

IMG_2459.JPG

IMG_2460.JPG

IMG_2461.JPG

IMG_2462.JPG

Last edited: Mar 4, 2016