Dual Flanger / Chorus pedal enquiry.

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by Nicholas Smith, Feb 17, 2021.

1. Nicholas Smith

Nicholas Smith

Apr 10, 2019
    London
    Hello folks...

Currently have an older EBS Unichorus pedal. It’s ok. Button doesn’t work properly sadly. Sooooo, I’m wondering if there any other pedals that have both a great flanger / chorus (maybe other modulation effects - maybe phaser...)...

thank you for your time and help...

Nicholas

2. King Weapon

King Weapon

Sep 20, 2005
    Brooklyn, NY
    EHX Mod 11?

DJ Bebop and eriky4003 like this.
  3. Jazz Ad

Jazz Ad Mi la ré sol

If you like the Unichorus, go for the real think and find a TC SCF.

dutchwife, erratick and gh0st42 like this.
  4. Nicholas Smith

Nicholas Smith

Apr 10, 2019
    London
    Good Shout!

King Weapon likes this.
  5. Nicholas Smith

Nicholas Smith

Apr 10, 2019
    London
    Too pricey for me...

DJ Bebop likes this.
  6. catcauphonic

catcauphonic High Freak of the Low Frequencies Supporting Member

Mar 30, 2012
    Seattle WA
    There's one of these in the TB Effects classifieds right now (not affiliated.)

Screenshot_20210217-071813_Chrome.jpg

7. ahadl2500

ahadl2500 Supporting Member

Nov 28, 2003
    Greenwood, IN
    I recently bought a Southampton Utility Knife. I do not think it does anything as well as a quality dedicated pedal (not as flexible of a phaser as my Walrus Lillian and I doubt it does Chorus as well as the Analog Man Chorus I have coming this week), but it does a solid job at everything that it has and it is not overly fiddly. Pretty much exactly what you want for any pedal that does several functions in a compact box. I definitely recommend it if all in one at a reasonable price (reasonable given the flexibility IMO) is what you are after.

8. catcauphonic

Mar 30, 2012
    Seattle WA
    I'll agree that it doesn't allow you to set the more extreme settings as separate standalone boxes might permit (no jet plane / whirleybird flanger sounds, etc), and it does all 4 quite well in terms of usable sounds with just enough knobs to make adjustments on the fly a breeze (depth, rate, & volume.)

I'd recommend it's 4 in 1 offerings by far over the Mod 11's eleven, which I really wanted to like but was ultimately quite disappointed with.

Good luck in your search :thumbsup:

ahadl2500 likes this.
  9. catcauphonic

Mar 30, 2012
    Seattle WA
    DJ Bebop likes this.
  10. ahadl2500

ahadl2500 Supporting Member

Nov 28, 2003
    Greenwood, IN
    Echoing this as I do not know that I made it clear in my first post. I bought the utility knife for my bass pedalboard. It is pretty much what Southampton advertises. A modulation pedal for people who do not love modulation pedals (by do not love they mean do not love spending time dialing in a tone on a modulation pedal). Every sound on it is quite usable. Since I rarely want/need modulation on bass it is perfect for that. The Lillian and AnalogMan Chorus I mentioned are both on my guitar pedalboard (which is a place where I want more modulation capability). Point being, I like my utility knife for what it is and would buy it again and recommend it to anyone looking for an easy to use multi capability modulation pedal.

catcauphonic likes this.
  11. Nunovsky

Nunovsky

Sep 4, 2004
    Portugal
    I have a Fulltone Choralflange and I really like it. I tried the EHX Mod 11 and wasn't impressed by it, IMHO.

P.S.: If I had the money, I'd go for the Strymon Deco. It has an amazing sounding chorus and flanger besides other tones.

12. 4Mal

4Mal Gold Supporting Member

Jun 2, 2002
    Columbia River Gorge
    Source Audio Mercury Flanger. Runs the programs from the Gemini Chorus and Lunar Phaser. Very capable. Does a good A/D/A Jet flange using the thru flange model. Has a nice thick quad chorus. Does a decent phase 90 among many other modulation tricks. 3 presets available on the switch. Many more (128) of you go midi switch and usb host.

I had a ChoralFlange. It was a Jet Flange clone plus chorus. Way too large for my board and kind of a one, two trick pony but a damned good trick.

(disclosure, i have a Mercury listed in the GFS that is like new. I just migrated to the HX Stomp so some of my singles are going bye, bye)

Last edited: Feb 17, 2021
    oren and gpx1200 like this.
  13. Nicholas Smith

Nicholas Smith

Apr 10, 2019
    London
    So many choices...

14. Nicholas Smith

Nicholas Smith

Apr 10, 2019
    London
    What’s not to like about the EHX Mod 11???

Sounds fine to me on the video reviews...

Curious to know why people don’t like it...

15. Nicholas Smith

Nicholas Smith

Apr 10, 2019
    London
    How’d you compare this one to the Unichorus?

16. I'll add the Ampeg Liquifier and the MXR Bass Chorus Deluxe. The MXR has a switch to from chorus to flange. The Liquifier gets you to flange territory in the wildest settings.

17. The MXR Bass Chorus Deluxe has a built-in flanger as well.

I'm not much of a flanger guy, but I love the Chorus!

[Edit: D'oh! eriky4003 beat me to the MXR info. Good stuff!]

18. erratick

erratick

Mar 2, 2014
    I got a TC SCF on Reverb- man it's great.

However if you like the current pedal- have you tried replacing the switch? Or looking in it?

some of the switches aren't that bad to replace.

DJ Bebop likes this.
  19. taliesin

taliesin

Nov 12, 2007
    Toronto, ON
    I picked up the Wampler Terraform last year and I'm liking it a ton - it has phaser/chorus/flange as well as 8 or so other effects like them, envelope filter, etc.

It doesn't seem like it will do the most extreme versions of the effects but it does what I want and covers a lot of ground for my needs.

20. devnulljp

devnulljp Supporting Member

Oct 13, 2009
    BC, Canada
    Admin on the D*A*M Forum
    TC Stereo Chorus Flanger

dutchwife and DJ Bebop like this.