Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

dual J pup question

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by JAL, Mar 30, 2005.

1. JAL

JAL

Dec 15, 2004
    Cleveland, Ohio
    I have the standerd MEC passive Js on my warwick. For en even mixed tone, my neck pickup is substantially (1 cm) lower then the bridge. Is this normal?

2. luknfur

luknfur

Jan 14, 2004
    DIXIE
    FWIW:

it's normal enough for the neck to be lower than bridge because the strings have more travel at that location. Seems 1 cm is about .4 inches and that's NOT normal.

I install most pups just far enough to keep the strings from slapping them. Sometimes they have to be dropped some because some pups will distort if too close (typically hi output passives). One advantage of actives is they can be set so close to the strings without a problem. Volume will also increase substantially when you raise that pup - or drop if they're excessively far.

I think it's the Fralin site that says something about the further the pups are from the strings the better the tone but I have found nothing to support that with the exception of when they distort when too close - including with Fralin pups.

3. JAL

JAL

Dec 15, 2004
    Cleveland, Ohio
    My measurements were WAYY off (I blame the Percocet due to my wisdom teeth bein yanked out yesterday)
    With the E string depressed at the 24th fret, the distance from the bottom of string to top of neck pickup is 3 32nds of an inch.
    On the bridge P up, E string, depressed at 24th fret, from top of pup to string is around 2 32ns. My guess that its normal?

4. David Wilson

David Wilson Administrator Staff Member Administrator Supporting Member

Oct 14, 2002
    Lower Westchester, NY
    As luknfur said, there's really no one measurement. but it is normal for bridge pickups to be closer to the strings than neck pickup

5. JAL

JAL

Dec 15, 2004
    Cleveland, Ohio
    Thanks. My eye is just kinda put off by the substancial difference, but hey, watever sounds good, eh? Also, im usin TI flats, so the tension is low and they really do vibrate.

6. luknfur

luknfur

Jan 14, 2004
    DIXIE
    Yep,

I use TI jazz flats as well and they're very low tension and flop like rubber bands so you can't set them as close.

7. JAL

JAL

Dec 15, 2004
    Cleveland, Ohio
    Fell in love with em too? Just love the thump. And the fretless tone is beyong insane. Thanks for the help guys.