Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Dual Lane poor MM humbuckers to Aguilar OBP-1...not so good at wiring here

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by Tim Cole, Jul 25, 2004.

1. Tim Cole

Tim Cole

Jun 12, 2002
    Findlay, Ohio
    So, to make a long story short, I needed to move my flea 5 already unfortunately, and listed it on ebay for less than I have in it, at a $1100 starting bid. I got no bids, and only one email on it....a supposed interested buyer, who told me he wanted it, but I was wanting way too much, since they are "so heavily discounted new". Um, moron, they are $2300 in musicians friend, a sparkle finish is a $250 upcharge, and good luck getting a new one with a lane poor. So, needless to say, this kinda pissed me off. I ordered a new bartolini MMC to put in it before I relist it, and I will probably be keeping the nice new modulus case for my other flea too.

I decided to install the lane poor donor in my other flea bass in the neck position, which already has a LP bucker in the sweet spot......ought to be a bongo/G&L/Wal killer :)

I realize to do this, I should have a blend pot, or a second volume pot installed, but after routing, my impatient self NEEDED to hear what it would sound like with both buckers full bore! Unfortunately, for reasons unknown, this will not work. I am running the wires directly to the single volume pot, in addition to the wiring from the bridge (Sweet spot) pup, and all I get is a severe output cut, and a really hollow sound. To me, I think this should work, but I am not the best at this sort of thing. Is this an impedance issue? Does anyone have a reccomendation for what impedence blend pot I need? I am not totally above swapping out for a different pre, especially if it comes pre-wired, and has EQ cut options as well. Thanks in advance, and I can't wait to post clips of this monster when it is done.

Tim

2. xyllion

xyllion Commercial User

Jan 14, 2003
    San Jose, CA, USA
    Owner, Looperlative Audio Products
    Sounds to me that you just need to reverse the polarity of one of the two pickups.