1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to post, make friends, earn reward points at our store, remove most ads and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Dual MM config...

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by duckbutter, May 19, 2005.

1. duckbutter

duckbutter

Mar 30, 2005
    Okay, I’m installing 2 Kent Armstrong MM pups (passive) into my bass. I’m going with 2 stacked knobs (vol/tone) for each pickup. I was thinking…. should I use a 5 way rotary switch (pup settings: full/full, inside/inside, outside/outside, inside/outside, outside/inside) or use 2 mini 3-way switches for each pup (pup setting: top, full, bottom) which will give me a few more setting options. If I go with the mini switches, I’m not sure what kind of switch to use (on/on/on or on/off/on).
    I’m kind of new to this wiring stuff, so any advise would be greatly appreciated.

2. Rodent

Rodent A Killer Pickup Line™ Commercial User

Dec 20, 2004
    Upper Left Corner (Seattle)
    Player-Builder-Founder: Honey Badger Pickups & Regenerate Guitar Works
    Where are you finding a source for a stacked vol/tone pot? I only know of availability for vol/vol and tone/tone type stacked pots, and would love to have a resource for something like these.

R

3. duckbutter

duckbutter

Mar 30, 2005
    Try here... http://www.guitarpartsresource.com/electrical_ctspots.htm

4. Rodent

Rodent A Killer Pickup Line™ Commercial User

Dec 20, 2004
    Upper Left Corner (Seattle)
    Player-Builder-Founder: Honey Badger Pickups & Regenerate Guitar Works
    Thanks for the resource!!! I could have used one of these on my last project - but for the future I'm now set. :bassist:

R

5. duckbutter

duckbutter

Mar 30, 2005
    NP, now what about my question ? ;)

6. ArtisFallen

ArtisFallen

Jul 21, 2004
    i think the two mini switches would look the best, and give the most options like you said.

you'll want on/on/on. they work the same way the pickup selector switches work on gibson guitars like the les paul and SG. if you get on/off/on, the middle position is all off, and you wont get a signal (if i remember right... don't quote that...)

Ooh. and i want to see this when it's all done. post the pictures.

7. In the Kent Armstrong package with the pickups is a schematic that shows and tells the why's and wherefore's of the 3 way switching and how to use it with the KA pup. You should read that and then decide. I'm using a pair of these in my latest build with a U-retro and a 3 way switch for each pup. I call it my "poor man's Bongo" setup. :D

8. duckbutter

duckbutter

Mar 30, 2005
    Thanks guys !!

I'll post the pics as soon as I can, but it's gonna take a little while. I'm in the process of a complete refinishing job and haven't found the time to really dig into it.
    It should be done by the end of the summer, and if it comes out how I hope...I'll gladly post pics.

thanks again...I love this forum :D