Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Dual MM config...

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by duckbutter, May 19, 2005.

1. duckbutter

duckbutter

Mar 30, 2005
    Okay, I’m installing 2 Kent Armstrong MM pups (passive) into my bass. I’m going with 2 stacked knobs (vol/tone) for each pickup. I was thinking…. should I use a 5 way rotary switch (pup settings: full/full, inside/inside, outside/outside, inside/outside, outside/inside) or use 2 mini 3-way switches for each pup (pup setting: top, full, bottom) which will give me a few more setting options. If I go with the mini switches, I’m not sure what kind of switch to use (on/on/on or on/off/on).
    I’m kind of new to this wiring stuff, so any advise would be greatly appreciated.

2. Rodent

Rodent Supporting Member Commercial User

Dec 20, 2004
    Upper Left Corner (Seattle)
    Player-Builder-Founder: Regenerate Guitar Works
    Where are you finding a source for a stacked vol/tone pot? I only know of availability for vol/vol and tone/tone type stacked pots, and would love to have a resource for something like these.

R

3. duckbutter

duckbutter

Mar 30, 2005
    Try here... http://www.guitarpartsresource.com/electrical_ctspots.htm

4. Rodent

Rodent Supporting Member Commercial User

Dec 20, 2004
    Upper Left Corner (Seattle)
    Player-Builder-Founder: Regenerate Guitar Works
    Thanks for the resource!!! I could have used one of these on my last project - but for the future I'm now set. :bassist:

R

5. duckbutter

duckbutter

Mar 30, 2005
    NP, now what about my question ? ;)

6. ArtisFallen

ArtisFallen

Jul 21, 2004
    i think the two mini switches would look the best, and give the most options like you said.

you'll want on/on/on. they work the same way the pickup selector switches work on gibson guitars like the les paul and SG. if you get on/off/on, the middle position is all off, and you wont get a signal (if i remember right... don't quote that...)

Ooh. and i want to see this when it's all done. post the pictures.

7. In the Kent Armstrong package with the pickups is a schematic that shows and tells the why's and wherefore's of the 3 way switching and how to use it with the KA pup. You should read that and then decide. I'm using a pair of these in my latest build with a U-retro and a 3 way switch for each pup. I call it my "poor man's Bongo" setup. :D

8. duckbutter

duckbutter

Mar 30, 2005
    Thanks guys !!

I'll post the pics as soon as I can, but it's gonna take a little while. I'm in the process of a complete refinishing job and haven't found the time to really dig into it.
    It should be done by the end of the summer, and if it comes out how I hope...I'll gladly post pics.

thanks again...I love this forum :D