Dual MM pickups and wiring

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by denverbarnes, Apr 25, 2019.

1. denverbarnes

denverbarnes

Feb 8, 2017
    Guys, I'm trying to figure out the way the two MM-style pups are wired in my 6-string active bass which I bought used. Both pups are 4-conductor (plus ground?).
    What I'd like to know is, are they wired in series or parallel or some other strange way? The wiring is such a mess.
    Oh and I'd also love to be able to ID this bass :) Aside from the name 'Tansen' on the headstock and the preamp saying 'Strinberg' I have little info about this instrument. Made in Brazil? IMG_20190425_195938.jpg IMG_20190425_195938.jpg IMG_20190425_200525.jpg IMG_20190425_202234_2.jpg IMG_20190425_211033_2.jpg IMG_20190425_211324_2.jpg IMG_20190425_211147.jpg

2. Killed_by_Death

Killed_by_Death Snaggletooth Inactive

[​IMG]

denverbarnes likes this.
  3. Yep I agree. If they were in parallel, you'd have 2 hot wires (1 from from each coil) going to each side of the blend pot. Instead you only have 1 hot wire going to each side of the blend pot and the other hot (red wire) tied to another wire (the ground of the other coil).

denverbarnes likes this.
  4. denverbarnes

denverbarnes

Feb 8, 2017
    I see. Thanks for the response, guys.

Killed_by_Death likes this.
  5. denverbarnes

denverbarnes

Feb 8, 2017
    Now that that's out of the way, anyone have an idea as to it's identity? It's a solidly built bass with good balance, neat glue joints, nice finish etc. I'd say it's at least a decade old. Not much info online about Tansen basses, and none of their production models look anything like this bass. I'm baffled

6. Maybe Tansen delved into custom builds? Judging by the exotic look of the fretboard and top, that doesn't seem like a production instrument.

denverbarnes likes this.
  7. sikamikanico

sikamikanico

Mar 17, 2004
    Tansen seems to be a line of instruments from HMI in India: - HMI Guitars

Strinberg indeed seems to be a Brazilian company...

So, an Indian bass with Brazilian electronics? Interesting :) well, as long as it plays and sounds good...

denverbarnes likes this.
  8. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jun 21, 2021