Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Dual MM Pickups for tonal diversity

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by King David, Sep 30, 2002.

1. King David

King David

Dec 13, 1999
    Indiana
    Has anybody tried to make a bass with 2 MM pickups. My thinking would be with a coil splitter switch and a pan pot, you could get the following combinations J/0, 0/J, MM/0, 0/MM, J/MM and MM/J (J meanning the coil splitter switch on single coil mode and 0 meanin one pickup being soloed). This doesn't even take into account the possibility of the series or parallel option on the humbucking coil splitter switch. With a pan pot you could find a blend of the two po\ickups in whatever configuration you switched them into.

Thoughts anyone?

2. Blux

Blux

Feb 5, 2002
    Philadelphia, Pa.
    The Ernie Ball Silhuoette Bass has two pick ups. Always wondered why they are not more popular.

The G & L is a great bass, too.

3. KB

KB

Jan 13, 2000
    Chapel Hill, NC
    G&L L2000

My older one (1982 model) does exactly the options you list. The newer G&L L2000s don't give that single coil option.

4. The G&L L2000 does not have a pickup in the MM sweet spot. Only the L1500 has one located there. This is why I have an L1500 on order, and not an L2000.

But... an L2000 fretless... GAS...

5. geshel

geshel

Oct 2, 2001
    Seattle
    You mean the Sabre? The Silhouette is a 30" scale Bass VI (like the Fender of that name), with gu*tar pickups. :)

6. King David

King David

Dec 13, 1999
    Indiana
    Yeah, that Ernie Ball one looks cool and so does the G&L, but they are pricy. I can't afford those.

I am learning some about pickup positioning. Is it possible to have the MM pickup in the "sweet spot" while still having one of the coils in the bridge J position?

7. Brooks

Brooks

Apr 4, 2000
    Middle East
    I'd love to get an older G&L 2000, and fit it with two coil selector switches (Series/Parallel/Single Coil) and a U-Retro. I'm sure it would make for an awesome combination.

8. Eric Moesle

Eric Moesle Supporting Member

Sep 21, 2001
    Columbus OH
    I recall reading a newsgroup post where someone added another pickup to their 'Ray, and was unumpressed with the outcome. You might want to try a google groups search.

9. I went with multiple basses to get tonal diversity.

I have an L1500 G&L on order, delivery around Christmas. It is a direct replacement for my Stingray-5 that I recently sold. I expect the G&L to have the Stingray tone type, but more of it.

My P and fretless J are the other tonal varieties. The P runs flat wounds for thump and the J runs light gauge round wounds for mwah. I plan on TI PowerBass rounds on the L1500 for grind.

10. actually those aren't really gu*tar pickups they are custom wound for the silhouette.

(I want one of those silhouette basses, but the price... ouch... especially in germany)

11. Blux

Blux

Feb 5, 2002
    Philadelphia, Pa.
  12. Jontom

Jontom

Mar 11, 2002
    New York
    I put two MM's in a Warmoth P-bass thinking it would sound "doubley" good, but actually the law of diminishing returns came into effect and they kinda cancelled each other out. They were o.k. when soloed, but together sounded weak. I would suggest a J in front and an MM in back, which is what I settled on.

13. Jontom, it is possible if not even very likely, that one of them was wired out of phase to the other, and that that was the reason for them sounding so weak together.

14. Jontom

Jontom

Mar 11, 2002
    New York
    C'mon...I may be new...but I'm not a newbie! I think I've come to the conclusion that one good pickup placed in a harmonically good spot(sweet spot) is better than two. I guess Leo Fender truly is the man with that 'ol P bass!

15. I'd like to hear the tone observations about the J up front and the MM by the bridge. I'm curious to see how close this comes to the both-dimed J tone.

I suspect it might require something like a J-Retro or other two-channel active preamp to fully buffer between the two pickups.

16. Jontom

Jontom

Mar 11, 2002
    New York
    I have a Bart MM by the bridge and an EMG J at the neck, both running into a Bart NTMB preamp. I'd have to describe it as more "cutting" than your standard full-on jazz.

17. Suburban

Suburban

Jan 15, 2001
    lower mid Sweden
    So it's time again....

The sweetspot varies with the working length of the string!

Due to this physical fact, you will very seldom find your pickup in the sweet spot.:(
    That is also the reason why mr Fender made the Jazz. He needed two spots. Then, with the MM, the two spots were narrowed, and with both coils active, the apreture was medium! (somewhere between the wide Jazz and the narrow ordinary humbuckers).

Bottom line is that diversity needs more "reading spots". Whitch can be enhanced with different coil taps, and/or an EQ.
    After trying several different setups, I say that dual humbuckers (ordinary or MM), with multi-coil-taps is a great solution, because it has distinct settings - you can learn to find them. The EQ's of the market today have no distinct settings - you practically never get back to the sound you got once and loved.
    YMMV.

18. Agreed on the varying position of the resonant points.

Consider changing the word "sweet spot" to "sonically unique." The P tone is fundamentally different from both a J and MM type, and all three have pickups located in unique physical positions.