1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Dual MM Pup idea

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by duckbutter, Oct 2, 2009.

1. duckbutter

duckbutter

Mar 30, 2005
    I'm in the process of modding a j bass with dual Kent Armstrong MM pups.

2 volumes (stacked), 1 tone, and each pup will have its own 3 way switch (series/split/parallel).

Good idea??

2. That sounds like a fairly common setup for a Jazz bass with humbuckers, except you are doing MM pickups instead of humcancelling J pickups.

Why would it not be a good idea?

3. SanDiegoHarry

SanDiegoHarry Banned Supporting Member

Aug 11, 2008
    San Diego, CA
    I did it on a custom Warmoth P body... Added a mighty mite J neck and I have an instant Franken Saber (I chose a P body because I thought it would look better than a J with those two big P'ups). Sounds huge...

But I wouldn't mod a perfectly good J bass for this - particularly a USA J... nope. Is this J a mim/mic?

4. two fingers

two fingers Opinionated blowhard. But not mad about it. Gold Supporting Member

Feb 7, 2005
    Eastern NC USA
    It sounds a lot like my Roscoe Beck sig Fender. The main difference would be the 3 way selector with master volume in stead of two volumes. The tonal options will be just about ENDLESS. I LOVE that setup. Good luck with it!

5. duckbutter

duckbutter

Mar 30, 2005
    Well...It's a 77 J Bass body that was already modded for the bridge MM pup. :bag:

I just want to add the neck MM.

6. duckbutter

duckbutter

Mar 30, 2005
    Great, now you have me rethinking the setup. :D

7. SanDiegoHarry

SanDiegoHarry Banned Supporting Member

Aug 11, 2008
    San Diego, CA
    '77... Bad year, but oddly still worth $$...

But already routed.... Hell, might as well go hog wild!

8. duckbutter

duckbutter

Mar 30, 2005
    Just looked at the Roscoe Beck IV Bass pickup setup...that may be the way to go.

9. Getaway Driver

Getaway Driver

May 31, 2009
    Omaha, NE
    Are you centering the new HB's over where the old jazz pup's went or does the lower or upper row of poles line up where the old jazz was?

10. Ten Four One

Ten Four One

Dec 5, 2006
    I'm considering the same thing, except with a Warmoth/USACG body, Nordstrand MM4.2 and a John East MM preamp for a true vintage Sabre experience (I have a '78 Sabre). 3 way selector switch.

Doubt the MM pre will fit in a Jazz route, though, so mine will be rear routed. It's too bad nobody does an MM shaped body & MM shaped control panel.

11. active or passive?

12. duckbutter

duckbutter

Mar 30, 2005
    passive

13. allotabass

allotabass Guest

14. Wow, looks like someone's got a thing for MM pickups... :hyper:

15. allotabass

allotabass Guest

16. Getaway Driver

Getaway Driver

May 31, 2009
    Omaha, NE
    wow, some of those are placed quite far south, even the "neck" pickups. Does that provide good balance? How does it compare to the single HB setup?

17. allotabass

allotabass Guest

18. +1
    Brings tears to my eyes!

19. I actually prefer blend knobs, oddly enough.

20. Brado

Brado

Oct 19, 2005
    Buda, TX.
    As far as pickup placement goes: You have some wiggle room. You could go directly over the original holes (centered)/ You could but both a bit north (phatter all together) or both a little south (a bit tighter)... you could put the bridge pickup a little north & the neck a little south & get a tighter shift in tone from pickup to pickup...you could do the opposite (kinda' like an Alembic) go north with the neck & as far south as possible with the bridge to make the tonal shift as drastic as possible. The two together will sound freakin' huge! Either way you go, I'm sue it'll be a good thing.....QUITE VERSITILE.