1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Dual Mudbucker Ibanez Telebass (that got your attention didn't it?)

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by bassonthebrain, Jan 24, 2012.

1. This is the latest incarnation of my first bass. It began it's life as a starter pack Ibanez p/j black/maple/rosewood. I think it was a model GTR something. It has been through numorous pickup experiments, been defretted, and in various levels of deconstruction over the years.

Original to the bass:
    body, black paint on body sides, 1 vol pot and knob, strap knobs, neck plate, tuners, string tree, nut

New in this configuration:
    sanded paint off body front and back with natural stain/poly, Allparts one piece maple tele neck that I applied stain/poly to then sanded down for smooth natural feel, painted headstock, Fender full range humbuckers from Modern Player Tele, I cut a new pickguard to cover the hole left by former p pickup, vinyl block inlays from Creative Cuts, DR Black Beauties, the bridge is an old one I had laying around(not sure of the make and model)

telebass001.
    telebass011.
    telebass009.
    telebass010.
    telebass006.
    telebass007.

2. scotch

scotch It's not rocket science! Supporting Member

Nov 12, 2006
    Albany, NY USA
    Please see Profile for Endorsement disclosures
    I dig it!

3. XtheDeadPawn

XtheDeadPawn

May 24, 2008
    Texas
    F'N Sweet@$$!!!

I'd rock that every noon and night!

4. Corey Y

Corey Y Guest

Jun 3, 2010
    I dig the natural front and back with the painted sides and tummy cut. The whole thing looks pretty sharp.

5. Marton

Marton

Sep 20, 2005
    Quebec
    I'm not sure of the half black headstock, but otherwise very cool looking bass. Its always fun to see someone playing a different instrument.

6. Very kewl:)

7. JMimbs

JMimbs

Jan 5, 2012
    Central Florida
    I'm in shock. That is all kinds of awesome.

8. Thanks guys. I've been playing it for a couple of weeks now, and it has a killer tone. I really like the feel of the tele neck too.

9. jwj1701

jwj1701

Nov 17, 2011
    Lexington KY
    Dude I think you in the wrong business. Sweet craftsmanship and just gorgeous. You could turn some bucks building and customizing. Great work. I hope it sounds just half as good as it looks.

10. Marial

Marial weapons-grade plum

Apr 8, 2011
    Very, very, cool. I might have to do something similar with my Squire Tele....

11. Basso54

Basso54

Jul 22, 2003
    Dalhart, TX
    I declare this bass to kick ass. Well done sir.

12. Avalon

Avalon

Feb 28, 2009
    You can't put mudbucks in those positions. Bass Police come and take you away. I saw it happen to one of my cousins once. Just sayin...

13. tabdog

tabdog

Feb 9, 2011
    That's awesome dude,

Tabdog

14. I dig it! Nice work!

15. They will never come after me... they are too busy chasing down people who put Fender decals on Squiers and Chinese companies copying Ritters at NAMM.:ninja:

16. NKBassman

NKBassman Lvl 10 Nerd Supporting Member

Jun 16, 2009
    Winnipeg, MB, Canada
    I like it!

How's it sound?

Also, I would have used Dimarzio Model Ones... just sayin. ;)

17. seedokebass

seedokebass

Mar 21, 2009
    Minnesota
    It reminds me of a Fodera Yin Yang.... very cool bass man!

18. This thing has been a 10 year perpetual upgrade, I have to leave room for the next mod.

It has a p/j on steroids kind of sound. Neck pup is big and thumpy. The bridge has a nasaly honk like a jazz, but a bigger sound. Tone full up is not muddy, but has a kind of grind to it like it's on the verge of overdriving. My favorite so far is bridge full on, neck backed off slightly, tone about 3/4. That has a smooth thump of a p bass, but with plenty of definition. It cuts through a mix real well. One thing about playing this pickup placement is that right hand position and where you pluck the strings makes more of a tonal difference on this bass than any of my other basses.

19. But this is no cheap budget bass like a Fodera, I put 300 bucks into it. ;)