Dual Music Man Pickup Configuration?

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by Blackbird, Mar 13, 2002.

1. Blackbird

Blackbird Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 18, 2000
    After looking at Dave Pushic's website a couple of times, I've started thinking that having a bass custom made by him would be a good idea. Right now, I'm still researching the features that I want and I thought that having two Music Man pickups a la Music Man Sabre would be pretty cool. has anyone experimented with this pickup configuration or have any suggestions?

Thanks in advance for any suggestions.
  2. Prague77

Aug 20, 2001
    Waco, TX
    i was thinking of having him make me something like that, but i was afraid that maybe the 2 pickups would be too powerful togather and make it sound bad. so i just went with the mm + j configuration
  3. Lovin Bass

Lovin Bass

Feb 8, 2002
    Los Angeles
    Just my opinion but I have a G&L ASAT bass with dual Humbuckers. Great sounding bass and great construction. Can get ANY tone you want. Most likely cheaper than a custom made bass.
  4. minor hijack- Lovin Bass, do you have a pic of your ASAT? i love the look of those.
  5. Lovin Bass

Lovin Bass

Feb 8, 2002
    Los Angeles
    Same Butterscotch Blond color and gun-oil maple neck that is on the G&L website....glguitars.com
    At first I was not sure about the color but week after week seeing it in the store (where I take lessons) it kinda took over me. I love it now. It plays and sounds great and best of all, I found it in a smaller Mom & Pop music store after Christmas sale for $799. I found that the smaller stores have the better deals and I feel good about helping out the little guy. If you still need a picture I could get the digital cam out...the website picture doesn't do the transparent finish and beautiful underlying wood justice.

Sorry about the Digress.
  6. EString

Nov 20, 2000
    Los Altos, CA
    G&L humbuckers don't sound much like Music Man humbuckers.

Also, the output of 2 humbuckers is almost the same as 1. They're typically connected in parallel, not series.
  7. Lovin Bass

Lovin Bass

Feb 8, 2002
    Los Angeles
    Tried Music Man once and it was OK but the G&L's have a series/parallel switch to select how you want them wired. Another toggle switch selects either the Neck pickup, Neck+Bridge, or Bridge only. This is ALL I need for tone adjustment. I never touch the tone knobs on the bass or my Hughes & Kettner bass 400 head into a BC410 cab. The EQ's are basically flat. I may roll off the lows since I play in a relatively large room (1500+ seats) and it can get boomy in that room but for the most part I am totally satisfied with G&L Tone.
  8. Blackbird

Blackbird Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 18, 2000

Nothing against, G&L, it just doesn't help much right now.

FWIW, I like G&Ls, but I'm not too thrilled with the ASAT shape. If I went for one it would be an L-2000 or some other dual horn model. (Ironically enough, I'm thinking of a single cutaway Pushic)

Back to the original question, can we get?
  9. CrawlingEye

CrawlingEye Member

Mar 20, 2001
    Easton, Pennsylvania
    One thing to consider... DP's very strict on what he'll make. He doesn't like to copy anything remotely.

When I was trading e-mails with him, theorizing on a bass (when I was still shopping) (I ended up with my sterling), I used a basses body as an example of what I wanted my bass body to be shaped like and he backed out solely because I used another bass' name for an example.

Strange... :rolleyes: :confused:
  10. Angus

Angus Supporting Member

Apr 16, 2000
    Palo Alto, CA
    No, not strange...he doesn't want to get sued. However, he cant be sued over a pickup configuration. Body style he can.

FWIW, I thought music man sabres sound pretty bad. The bridge didn't sound like music man, and the neck didn't sound like anything i'd ever use. Together they sounded far too hollow and undefined. Didn't like it.

I like G&Ls, though. At least the bridge pickup soloed. The 5500's are better, but they have EMG soapbars. I've never been a big fan of the dual MM's, because they dont sound like MM's, but nor do they sound like soapbars.
  11. I pretty much believe in one pickup basses; One bass, one sound. You can drive yourself nuts trying to design something that can do all, although it is tempting. I wonder why the Sabres didn't go over better than they did, yet the Stingrays were so successful. Will we ever know?

Mike J.
  12. oozon

Aug 11, 2001
    Sweden, Malmo
    I've got an '84 Ibanez Musician that now has two Kent Armstrong MM PUs. I have one coiltap switch for each PU and they are connected to an EMG preamp with bass and treble controls. In dual single coil mode the sound is pretty useful (it actually sounds quite close to Victor Wooten's sound) but in dual parallell mode the bottom end is quite muddy. My MM SR 5 sounds alot better which is why I usually tune the Ibanez A-C (tenor bass) and use it for mainly in my project studio.
  13. CrawlingEye

CrawlingEye Member

Mar 20, 2001
    Easton, Pennsylvania
    It wasn't even that. It was a "I like how rounded this body style looks."