1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Dual output; best pickup?

Discussion in 'Amps, Mics & Pickups [DB]' started by thedreaded6, Oct 3, 2009.

1. Hey, I am currently playing my double bass in my local church group every week, and am using an SM58 to mic it. sounds nice, and i haven't had too many problems with feedback, but it admittedly can leave a bit to be desired as far as sound goes.

I was thinking of getting a pickup for the bass to go along with the mic, so i can get the best sound possible (in a live situation). My bass is a 20 year old german plywood. nothing incredible, but gets the job done :)

So my question is simply this;
    What's the best pickup for an upright bass in this situation?

I have heard everything from fishman to realist to underwood being the best so your input would be great! thanks :)

2. Depends on many things, and your budget!
    A simple K&K Bass Max might do the trick!

3. i would like to keep the price down if possible. but i cannot afford to go above 300, which is a stretch itself. the less expensive the better.

4. Rvl

Rvl

Dec 23, 2003
    Aomori Japan
    Some people around here only use a SM58 , 57 or Beta and they get good results

Before you spend alot of money try out some different mounting or placement positions with your mic.( ie under tailpiece or under bridge or elastic shockmount or micholderadaptermountedonstring

The problem of mixing mic and piezo is not a simple plug and play
    And it will get expensive

What is the problem your having with the sound?
    What is it you dont like?
    What is it you do like about your sound?
    What sound are you after?

Thanks

Robert VanLane

5. Marc Piane

Marc Piane

Jun 14, 2004
    Chicago
    I'm a Realist guy. Lately though I've been doing just a SM58 shoved through the afterlengths of my strings into my AI using a little PA cab. Basically a personal PA of sorts. No pickup. I'm digging the way a) I approach the bass b)other people blend differently. Pickups, while they certainly have their place and I use mine with most of the time, do cause you to play differently.

6. Rvl

Rvl

Dec 23, 2003
    Aomori Japan
    I use a Realist and a 58 or 57 on a stand
    Mostly because I can switch the Realist and mics to any of my basses

I run the Realist into an amp and the mic to the house

In the future I want an Audio Technica ATM35 mic or a H-Clamp mic holder
    I have a Fishman Full Circle sitting in the box waiting to install (but I am hoping to get a much nicer bass ie old Czech solid)

Check out the H-Clamp $110 (for the SM58) plus a used Realist $100+ that might make the sound you are after

Thanks

Robert VanLane

7. thanks for the great tips!
    The problem i have with my sound now is mainly that it has a very shallow, almost empty tone. i can catch the finger noise and the general sound, but it somehow doesn't have that punchy, meat and potatoes depth and power to it.
    almost as if the mic was too far away. but it doesnt seem to go away regardless of where i place it. i was thinking a pickup- such as the realist- would be able to supplement that missing part of the tone for me, while still using the microphone to get that "real" sound.

maybe its my particular microphone?
    if anyone has a position for the mic that has solved this problem for them, i would love a picture of where it is/ how its mounted.
    thanks

8. Marc Piane

Marc Piane

Jun 14, 2004
    Chicago
    with any dynamic mic (like the SM58) you need to get it pretty close. The h-clamp (which I own) will certainly help with that. I've starting shoving mine between the A and D afterlengths. I like that location and then I can leave the h-clamp at home so less stuff to carry. As far as beef, you could try adding a cheap tube pre (like the ART or Presonus) to warm up the sound. The Realist also works well for adding some beef.

9. what would you reccomend then? the tube preamp (low cost) or a realist?

10. Rvl

Rvl

Dec 23, 2003
    Aomori Japan
    What do you run the SM58 into , the PA or an amp?

Thanks

Robert VanLane

11. Rvl

Rvl

Dec 23, 2003
    Aomori Japan
    The Realist or the Full Circle are good choices
    The Realist is easier to switch out and put to another bass

Thanks

Robert

12. i run the mic into the PA