1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Dual P configuration Bass

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Johny Blade, Dec 1, 2016.

1. Johny Blade

Johny Blade

Jan 13, 2016
    I was looking at some old threads about dual P basses here on the forums and a weird thought popped in my mind.
    What if you get a P bass with the neck pickup on the sweetspot and you add a bridge P pickup in reverse position as close as you can to the neck pickup.
    With both pickups on wouldn't the E-A strings sound closer to a jazz and the D-G strings closer to a MM?
    Is there a company or some individual that have tried this configuration out? If yes what do you think about it?

Dynomuttasaurus likes this.
  2. Atshen

Atshen

Mar 13, 2003
    Grim Cold Québec
    Some Warwicks have that configuration, like this John Entwistle Buzzard:

JohnEntwistleWarwickBuzzard_zps9bf036a5.

3. Skybone

Skybone

Jun 20, 2016
    Scotland
    A lot of the BC Rich basses run double P pickups too

4. Johny Blade

Johny Blade

Jan 13, 2016
    Great, have you ever heard or played a bass like this? how did you find the sound of it?

5. Atshen

Atshen

Mar 13, 2003
    Grim Cold Québec
    Nope, sorry. :bag:

6. Maxdusty

Maxdusty

Mar 9, 2012
    Michigan USA

7. Clark Dark

Clark Dark

Mar 3, 2005
    earth

8. Blaargh

Blaargh

Apr 4, 2016
    5710ffd3-2464-4718-8335-931714c35824.
    Fender Blacktop Jazz basses, they're reasonably sought after these days. Never heard one myself, but everyone I've heard who owned one loves them.

EDIT: I missed the reverse position bit. Derp.

rickwebb and BlueAliceOasis like this.
  9. JGR

JGR The "G" is for Gustav Supporting Member Commercial User

Jun 29, 2006
    Maryland
    President, CEO, CFO, CIO, Chief Engineer, Technician, Janitor - Reiner Amplification
    @Fuzzbass has a KILLER dual P Nordstrand 5'er.

PawleeP likes this.
  10. Fuzzbass

Fuzzbass P5 with overdrive Gold Supporting Member

Ha. Yes, I have a Nordstrand dual P. It's not a production model. Carey Nordstrand and crew were cool enough to implement a crazy idea that had been rolling around in my head for decades.

%2Fi1133.photobucket.com%2Falbums%2Fm592%2F5stringKen%2FBasses%2FIMG_20131209_174800_zps1071b8f8.

Knobs: Master volume, 5-position rotary coil selector, passive tone, active treble, active bass.

Pickups: the middle two coils are in the standard Fender P-bass location because I wanted to have the standard P-bass tone. I sandwiched them between two more coils.

I originally had this wired with a blend that panned from inner coils to outer coils (the outer coils are essentially an exaggerated reverse P). That was OK, but I realized it wasn't giving me the full potential of the bass. I checked with their electronics guy Mo who confirmed he could install the rotary switch instead, so I had it rewired.

Looking at the picture above, let's call the coils A, B, C, and D. A is the one closest to the neck, D closest to the bridge.

The 5-position rotary switch can access all four 2-coil humbucking combinations, and has a fifth "all four coils on" humbucking setting, as follows:
    1. Coils B + C -- standard P-bass
    2. Coils A + B -- reverse P with warmer/deeper tone on the D+G strings
    3. Coils A + D -- extended reverse P, extra warmth on D+G strings, extra growl on B+E+A
    4. Coils C + D -- reverse P with growlier tone on the B+E+A strings -- kind of Rickenbackerish
    5. Coils A+B+C+D -- because of the phase cancellations, sounds nothing like a P-bass! Video of this in the link below (that's not me playing)

I am probably the only one who appreciates this layout, so I'm not sure I recommend it to anyone else. The differences between positions 1 thru 4 are subtle, but definitely noticeable, especially in the mix. The all-four-coils-on tone is not a bit Fender-y so I don't use it much. For hard rock I usually go with positions 3 or 4, extra growl on the B, E, and A strings. For ballady stuff I go with position 2.

For more info, here's the thread from back when I got it:
    NBD (highly belated): custom Nordy PP5, it's cr@zy!

juxlyu, PawleeP, FingerDub and 11 others like this.
  11. rufus.K

rufus.K

Oct 18, 2015
    SoCal
    Fuzzbass likes this.
  12. Fuzzbass

Fuzzbass P5 with overdrive Gold Supporting Member

I just realized it doesn't answer the OP's question, but thanks! :D

13. Wow, that choice of coils is pretty amazing. If I can find a double P in a natural or burst finish, at a cheap price, I'll probably buy it.

14. brianrost

brianrost Gold Supporting Member

Apr 26, 2000
    Boston, Taxachusetts
    BC Rich made lots of variations at different times, as that video shows. My Eagle was twin P but not reversed.

It's hard to say it sounded like a P bass being a neck through and all maple plus those DiMarzios have a really different tonality than stock Fender pickups anyway. With the coil tap switches and phase switch it had a lot of sounds even before I reached for a knob.

15. Clark Dark

Clark Dark

Mar 3, 2005
    earth
    I wrote that guy and asked if he'd do another video using the maple Mockingbird and the maple Eagle because I feel the Koa body Eagle has a midrange bump that added to the tone when he was on that bass. I'd like to hear those pickup variations when the bodies are more like one another.

16. Dynomuttasaurus

Dynomuttasaurus

Jul 23, 2016
    Milwaukee
    Nothing so fancy, but just arrived today. I've been wanting to hear a dual reverse P bass for some time. $200 shipped with a bag. 1989 Ibanez EX405. It feels amazing and sounds pretty darn good through headphones at work. Can't wait to crank it up at home tonight. I figure for the price, I can modify anything without feeling guilty if it doesn't work out.

[​IMG]

rickwebb and Fuzzbass like this.
  17. Malak the Mad

Malak the Mad Over the River and through the Looking Glass Supporting Member

Apologies for continuing the "slightly off-topic" portion of the thread, but I'd like to respond to this…

Here's a sound clip recorded by a fellow TB member, played with a pick and, I'm assuming, all controls set to 100%.

https://app.box.com/s/0giiip2y1612vfjh9dix

Speaking as a fellow Blacktop owner, it's an incredibly ballsy and aggressive beast of an instrument. ;) :thumbsup:

Dynomuttasaurus likes this.
  18. nismaniac

nismaniac

Feb 21, 2005
    OKC, OK
    I know it's not reversed like the OP asked, but cool looking and a good price none the less. The Escalon from J Ferro Basses. I'm really curious to see/hear/play one sometime soon. I have a 4 string BC Rich Mocking Bird bass and love the tone from the dual P's. Can't use it on the gig because of its looks and it's only 4 strings. I could definitely play the Escalon though. Hope to see one in person or read a review from someone that buys one.

www.jferrobass.com

image.

19. Texan

Texan 667 Neighbor of the Beast. Supporting Member

Aug 15, 2004
    Houston, TX
    Just finished routing and installing the bridge set tonight. I loaded it with Seymour Duncan SPB-1's in both positions. The sound is fat. Thicker than a Jazz with both on, very throaty. With just the bridge its like a fuller, rounder jazz. The neck is what you would expect, a pbass...still need to route a bit so I don't have to keep using a concentric volume. For those wondering, this is a parts bass that I painted and relic'd. Its not a Fender that I chopped up. ;)

20161216_191137_zpsfyfer94l.

20. Johny Blade

Johny Blade

Jan 13, 2016
    T
    That's what I'm talking about!!!! Do you like the sound of it?
    Personally if i ever try this configuration I would put the bridge pickup as close to the neck pickup as possible.