1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Dual P pickups are the best pickup configuration in existance

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by poochiecheeks, Oct 30, 2020.

1. OK hear me out. I'm rebuilding my Dean explorer bass to have a dual P setup, and in the process I realized that having two P pickups is a perfect and infallible design.

1- Can sound good with any placement between the end of the neck and the bridge
    2- Always follows the radius of the fretboard for most efficient sound capture
    3- Because of the split design you can always center the two strings for each coil during installation no matter where in the neck taper you put them
    4- Offset split design (in non reverse setup) means higher strings receive more treble response and lower strings receive more bass response
    5- 100% hum cancelling in any configuration at all times
    6- Offers all the benefits of a J bass if placed in the same relative locations with none of the downsides
    7- Looks absolutely stunning and bada$$
    8- Fairly uncommon meaning you will always get compliments on your bass
    9- Wiring to the pots acts like a humbucker but with no annoying wires you have to solder and tape together to wire the coils in series
    10- Maximum area beneath the strings to use as a speed ramp short of putting in dual music mans
    11- Using the neck pickup alone means you always have the P bass sound available to you without having to use a PJ
    12- Relatively low pickup impedance compared to similar humbucker setups
    13- Much more comfortable thumb anchor than a J pickup due to the mounting screw located at the end of each coil instead of on the top and bottom sides
    14- Did I mention it looks amazing

Literally WHY does no one talk about this setup? I can't think of anything wrong with it. Just try and prove me wrong, I bet you can't.

2. I can't abide the thumb-anchoring or 'literally', but I agree that double split-coils is a layout that should be more common.
    One of the best designs Fender ever had was the Blacktop Jazz:

fender-blacktop-jazz-bass-black-xl.jpg

However, out there in the wild are many many SR500 Ibanez, which use split-coil MK1 Bartolini pickups.

This dude never sounded better than on his B.C.R. with the dual split-coils:

da3dce63d3356814ff0677966fb16b6d.jpg

3. JRA

JRA my words = opinion Supporting Member

Dual P pickups are the best pickup configuration in existance
    :laugh: ...alright --- i believe you! i've played 'em, i like 'em, but i've never owned one. post pics of the beast you're modifying! ;)

4. This is what it looks like now but this is a cheap Dean metalman Z that I have changed basically everything on, only the neck and body are still original. I'm routing the pickup holes now that I filled in the original soapbar humbucker hole as well as the neck pickup that I added, I also reshaped the headstock from the Dean V to a gibson banana headstock, we'll see if it doesn't snap in half once I put tuners and string tension on it

Attached Files:

5. I didn't hear a thing, but I read it all. If you're concerned about the tuner, I'd suggest a Korg Pitchcrow:

7feda7f866a2a7785bf626293f770e3b_sp.jpg

6. tlite

tlite Supporting Member

Aug 18, 2016
    Florida
    I have never played one but oft wondered why these aren’t more prevalent. Would love to try a fender blacktop. Keep us posted!

7. LOL I mean the tuning peg/key/post things, I always just call them tuners I guess. This is the current state of this monstrosity, ignore my filthy garage. I'll keep posting updates to this thread if anyones interested

Attached Files:

8. Torrente Cro

Torrente Cro

Sep 5, 2013
    Croatia
    I agree, I upgraded my cheap P to P/reverse P just for fun and now it's my main bass.

pjbassist, mikewalker, JRA and 3 others like this.
  9. Peter Weil

Peter Weil Seeker of The New Supporting Member

Mar 29, 2000
    Edinburgh, Scotland
    I just did dual P bass by converting a Mexi P, though I may have to reverse the bridge pickup. Kept the original pickup non-reversed though.

Pbassmanca likes this.
  10. Relsom

Relsom Supporting Member

Nov 23, 2013
    The Old Dominion
    Lee Sklar dug it.... d02d924b369883a5a15bb3ab68d961d4--leland-sklar-bass-guitars.jpg

11. Baa

Baa Happy hobbyplayer

Jan 10, 2006
    stockholm, sweden
    I totally agree and love your list!
    I have played dual P almost exklusively since the early 80's because i just love the sound and looks of it.
    20191213_194954.jpg

12. JMX

JMX Vorsprung durch Technik

Sep 4, 2000
    Cologne, Germany
    It somehow looks "wrong" to me, can't help myself. Looks unbalanced somehow, same with J-type PUs on a six-string, just doesn't look right compared to soapbars. To my defence - missed the 80s when that config seemed to have been more common.

13. nilorius

nilorius Inactive Suspended

Oct 27, 2016
    Riga - Latvia
    Don't think it's a good idea, the tone will stay quite the same all the way long, small variation possibilities.

14. RattleSnack

RattleSnack

Sep 22, 2011
    Europe
    I agree only with no. 2, that can be serious problem if you have a flat pickup and vintage (small) fretboard radius. The rest is either non-issue or subjective. But I have nothing against it, if it works for you and you like it, cool.

15. Never tried one but it looks intriguing.

16. like my beloved Fender PB-555 "Boxer", punch and power in all four configurations!
    b1dc51.jpg

BlueTalon, nbsipics, Andy V. and 25 others like this.
  17. NKBassman

NKBassman Lvl 10 Nerd

Jun 16, 2009
    Winnipeg, MB, Canada
    I dig it too. Like a Jazz but way heftier. I just don’t like the DG coil on the bridge pickup too close to the bridge. I think two reverse P would be ideal. Never tried standard-reverse.

18. ctmullins

ctmullins fueled by beer and coconut Gold Supporting Member

Apr 18, 2008
    MS Gulf Coast
    I'm highly opinionated and extremely self-assured
    Double reverse is the shizz.

Octo_0567.jpg

Flying B, johndb, Bassdirty and 24 others like this.
  19. wmhill

wmhill Suspended

Aug 20, 2012
    upstate NY
    MTD basses endorsed artist Bartolini pickups emerging artist TECAMP bass players gear endorsed
    I am not a fan at all of the P style pickups, but if I found a bass that I liked everything else about it- the dual Ps would be my go-to mod.

20. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Dec 3, 2020