dual p-pickups

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by Kingbass123, Jan 22, 2009.

1. Kingbass123

Kingbass123

Jan 22, 2009
    i was thinking about throwing another set of quarter pound p-pickups in my frankenstein p-bass by the bridge. the basses ive seen with that set up sound great (john lodge, the dude from roadhouse lol) and they have a cool punch to them but idk it it's a good idea. anyone have any experience with a bass like that? i know fender made one for a short time in the 80's...

2. GBassNorth

GBassNorth

Dec 23, 2006
    SoCal
    Probably one of the best bass players of all time used a dual P set up as his main bass - John Entwistle from The Who. :cool:
    Take a look at his main bass (Warwick Buzzard Bass). It had the neck P in standard orientation with bass string pickup above the treble string pickup and the bridge P in reverse orientation withthe bass string pick up below the treble - IIRC. I played one like it once, tons of punch and good and dark with the neck on solo.
    I think Warwick still makes it (probably very expensive), I think BC Rich also makes a twin P bass but not sure.

3. I've just sold this:

P6050086.gif

Vantage, pups are both sides of where the standard P would be. As you would expect, the neck is slightly bassier and boomier than standard, and, interestingly, the neck pup is about where an MM pup would be - giving it a bit of bite and punch.

Together, there's a bit of good phase cancellation giving a very smooth sound altogether.

Obviously, different configs will be subtly different.

4. kyral210

kyral210

Sep 14, 2007
    Manchester
    They make LOTS! Almost all their basses are duel P, or were, the new range and website is down right now, but check yourself soon.

5. yeah, all BC Rich are dual P except for the cheap ones which are single P

6. Kingbass123

Kingbass123

Jan 22, 2009
    i was just thinking about adding a qp pickups to the bridge on a standard p where the original pickup is in the middle.

7. jwymore

jwymore

Jul 26, 2001
    Portland, OR
    I did a dual P for a customer once and used an SD Hot in the forward position and a Quarter Pound in the bridge position. It worked quite well!!

BRC_Body.jpg

Camilo Pefaur likes this.
  8. That's a nice work! How would you describe the sound of the EA strings and the DG's? Would you prefer them reversed if you could change the orientation of the coils?

Thanks in advance!

9. Fender also had the blacktop jazz a couple years ago with this configuration. I think it sounds really good. Especially when the pickups are in reverse (E and A string closer to the bridge instead of neck).

10. sheltjo6

sheltjo6 Supporting Member

Jun 10, 2012
    California
    My dual P experiment: EMG PA with BTC.
    If I decide to assemble another dual P bass, I would use EMG 35P4 pickups because they are reverse split and the soapbar housing allows for mix and matching of various other pickups without having reroute the bass body.
    F9C3DD49-9E60-4462-8A0E-859BE4BE686E.jpeg

Last edited: Sep 23, 2017
    Peter Weil and somebrains like this.
  11. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jul 24, 2021