1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Dual P setup - matched or no?

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by Papazita, Mar 4, 2013.

1. Papazita

Papazita

Jun 27, 2008
    Ohio
    I'd like to know what you guys think: I'm dusting off an old work-in-progress, project/experimental bass that's been sitting, neglected, in a closet for several years.
    It's routed for a dual P pickup setup, but I'm not sure which direction to go, use the same pickup brand & model in both positions, or mix & match
    I'm not worried about keeping a "traditional" P-bass vibe; it's likely going to end up with a fairly elaborate filter-based preamp; but I want a good solid tonal foundation from the pickups first.

I'm curious about that Delano P model w/the oversized pole pieces, and how it would sound paired with something else non-traditional, like the DiMarzio Split P. Or should I just keep it simple & throw in 2 identical, vintage-styled models?

I'm open to ideas, the only rule being passive pickups, so EMG's are out this time.

2. mccartneyman

mccartneyman

Dec 22, 2006
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Managing Editor, Bass Guitars Editor, MusicGearReview.com
    I like Lindy Fralin P bass pickups myself.

PawleeP likes this.
  3. Fretlessboy

Fretlessboy

Nov 29, 2007
    St Augustine Florida
    Endorsing artist GENZ BENZ/HERCULES STANDS/XSonics
    I like a hotter bridge pickup to even the 2 out a bit. Dimarzio in the bridge and a Fralin in the normal p bass placement

4. Datsgor

Datsgor Supporting Member

Jul 29, 2000
    California
    I had a Fender 60's in the neck position and a Quarter pounder in the bridge. I was able to lower the bridge p/u enough to facilitate the same distance I had from the strings with the neck p/u and still get equal out put of both pickups. The mid grind of the fender filled in the highs and lows of the pounder quite nicely. I t was a great combo. IMO.....

5. You want the bridge pickup to be hotter, so that the output levels will match.

PawleeP likes this.
  6. Linnin

Linnin

Jul 19, 2012
    Linningrad, Earth
    When I first hot rodded this '76 Precision in 1985, I put in two pairs of Seymour Duncan 1/4 pounders. Recently I re- configured with a pair of DiMarzio Split P's at the bridge and couldn't be happier with the total tone. Just a superb assault bass deLuxe.

080p1_zpsf11721b3.