1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Dual P Wiring

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by xsogol, Apr 30, 2006.

1. Hi All,

I've done a couple of searches and, for some reason, have not been able to find much of anything on this topic.

Here are my parts:

- A Peavey Fury (P Bass clone) with a defretted neck (lined and finished with many coats of poly on the fingerboard)
    - 2 sets of Schaller Precision Pickups
    - 3 250k CTS pots
    - 1 switchcraft jack
    - 2 on/on switches

What I'm trying to accomplish is to wire the 2 P pickups up with volume/volume/tone...one P pickup in the traditional location and one, reversed (like on a Warwick Corvette Hot Rod or Entwistle's Buzzards), roughly in the 1970s placement for a J pickup. I would like to have series/parallel switches for each pickup. Has anyone ever done this configuration before, have any thoughs, or could provide me with a wiring diagram or a link to one? Thanks a ton everyone!

2. i take no credit for this, it was from bgavin ,although the following explanation is from me, the schematic isnt

basically what you want to do is the wires that are connected together on your p bass, black wire in the schematic is the corresponding one. not all wires will be the same color, and actually, none of the wires on my bass was the same. also for the "red" and "green" just connect it to the pot where the schematic says to, you dont need to connect it to the switch first

[​IMG]

just duplicate that ;) for the other pickup.. that's of course the series parallel

for the vol/vol/tone I just can't help you sorry.. but if I was you.. I'd rather have a vol/blend/tone.. my opinion of course..

3. Thanks zink182! This is helpful! I've tried the vol/blend/tone setup before and I guess I'm weird, but I like the old style vol/vol/tone setup better...it's a good suggestion, just not for me. Anyone know how I would wire this up for vol/vol/tone? Should I do the parallel/series mod like zink182 has above and then procede to follow a standard jazz pickup wiring diagram from the switches? Thanks! :help:

4. I say so.. I just don't know how the standard jazz wiring is.. so I didn't wanna post something that wasn't accurate :/

5. fender_mod

fender_mod

Jun 23, 2005
    on a related topic. how would you wire two sets of pickups into a series/parallel with an on/on switch. like between one set of pickups and another. so the pickups would be wired normaly and you would select between having the sets in series/parallel with each other.