1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Dual pickguard Jazz bass - yay or nay?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by InternetAlias, Mar 30, 2013.

1. Yay!

15 vote(s)
    17.2%
  2. If you really like it...

20 vote(s)
    23.0%
  3. Nay!

52 vote(s)
    59.8%
  1. InternetAlias

InternetAlias

Dec 16, 2010
    Serbia
    So uh, I am thinking about adding a second pickguard to my jazz. It'd look like this:
    [​IMG], only prettier, obviously. Bear in mind that the jazz I'd do this on is a 100$ SX jazz - I don't care about resale value cause I'm not selling it.

Basically, this pickguard would cover the badly cut bridge pickup hole and since I am planning to install a few more knobs (that can't be fit onto the control cavity) and will be cutting a chunk of wood on this bass, it'd cover it (near the control cavity).

Also, I pick near the bridge and I often hit the body cause my strings are too close to it, this would also fix that body scratch issue.

So, who likes this idea? And if so, what kind of pickguard would one suggest? I can pretty much get any 'standard' design in sheet form and cut to taste, black, white, cream, ivory, tort, etc.

2. Tonegasm

Tonegasm

Mar 22, 2010
    NJ
    I'm voting a big no, but that's just MHO. But do YOU! Who knows, you might be a huge trend setter!

3. Baird6869

Baird6869 RIP Gord Downey. A True Canadian Icon. Supporting Member

Might look ok.

4. Do a Marcus Miller-style cut, that'd look better IMO.

--Silvie

5. lavmonga

lavmonga

Jul 27, 2007
    New York, NY
    Maybe if the original pickguard was one color and the addition is a different color. Kind of a Yin Yang look.

6. Nashrakh

Nashrakh

Aug 16, 2008
    Hamburg, Germany
    Get a PG blank and cut a new one so it's one piece?

7. Syco_bass

Syco_bass Supporting Member

Aug 13, 2008
    Tucson, Arizona
    Custom builder - Arizona Bass Company/Curcio Custom Basses
    Your bass, so customize it how you like. However I would suggest that if you do it, you send a tracing of what you want it to look like to someone like pickguardian or terrapin guitars so you have a professional looking product.

Good luck. I'd like to see it if you do follow through.

Cheers.

8. InternetAlias

InternetAlias

Dec 16, 2010
    Serbia
    Thanks for replies everyone, I've decided I will cut a sketch shape myself and then let a pro do it :D Might do a tort, white and black ones, and possibly a full scale pickguard (one piece, plus over the control cavity). I will keep people updated in this thread :D However, I see a lot of bassists have voted nay, so I guess this design will not be very popular among us bassmen, but if anything, it will be slightly unique :)

9. BboogieXVII

BboogieXVII

Feb 4, 2013
    jammin
    Are you really that sloppy with your pick strumming?

:bag:

10. InternetAlias

InternetAlias

Dec 16, 2010
    Serbia
    Haha, knew someone would ask that! Well, my neck socket was trimmed a nice bit and my action is really low, so my strings are only 1.2cm off the body. Since I pick near the bridge, I get a terrible playing angle which causes me to hit the body pretty often when elbow-strumming (plus really that I like to dig in with!)

11. Make it a 1 piece guard that covers that entire area and it might look nice. I did something similar on my MIM P when I had a bad pickup route. It was OK, but the design needed some tweaking.

12. curbowkid

curbowkid Guest

Jun 27, 2011
    Brooklyn, New York
    Instead of a straight line by the bridge. Follow the body contour and round it off and have it end at the tip of the silver plates point.

13. curbowkid

curbowkid Guest

Jun 27, 2011
    Brooklyn, New York
    Its hard to explain. Look at how the upper oart of the add on meshes with the arm contours body profile. Do the same all the way and it should look fairly good

14. InternetAlias

InternetAlias

Dec 16, 2010
    Serbia
    Yeah, that's how I am drawing it over now :D

15. Malak the Mad

Malak the Mad Over the River and through the Looking Glass Supporting Member

Care for a little photo-shoppery to better see the results?

If you like the results AND it's on an inexpensive bass, why not?

16. How about adding a Bigsby to cover the routing and the gouges? Personally, I think that could look very cool and stylish - a chrome Bigsby with a tailpiece, on a colour scheme as timeless and understated as black, white and maple. Even if it was not actually connected to the strings in any way, it might cover up a lot of the damage and would look gorgeous!

John Squire of The Stone Roses had a couple of custom Fender Jaguars built for him which featured the classic Jaguar tremolo, completely disconnected from the strings and the bridge. He wanted them to be included in the design just because they look so good on a Jaguar, and those two guitars were stunningly pretty...

JohnSquireandJaguar_zps1cd6fda6.

I know that it is not really what you were looking for, but I just thought that I would throw it in as something to consider! Good luck with your project! :)

17. msaone

msaone

May 13, 2012
    Personally I hate pick guards, but its not my bass.

18. wednesdayagain

wednesdayagain

Sep 28, 2012
    MA
    I agree with this

19. Funk_Pirate

Funk_Pirate

Oct 6, 2012
    +1 to this suggestion

20. BboogieXVII

BboogieXVII

Feb 4, 2013
    jammin
    I voted nay, it looks too boxy for a jazz bass. Maybe if you followed the contour of the body more it might look nicer.