1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Dual preamps into one power amp?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by bigblue, May 18, 2011.

1. bigblue

bigblue

Apr 24, 2011
    Forgive my probably simple question but I don't know the answer, can I have 2 preamps (like an Ampeg and an Alembic) running into the inputs of one power amp like a QSC and just plug into which ever preamp suits the sound I'm after at that moment? I think haveing this ability and the ability to run 1 or 2 Avatar 4x10's with the QSC would be extremly flexible and cover alot of ground tonewise, can it be done? I need to have motown thump with my P Bass (through the Ampeg preamp) and yet be able to nail the hi fi slap funk sound with my Jazz Bass too which the Alembic would nail....would this be a weird setup?

2. Selta

Selta

Feb 6, 2002
    Pacific Northwet
    Total fanboi of: Fractal Audio, AudiKinesis Cabs, Dingwall basses
    Depends on which poweramp you have. Mine PLX2 has two channels, so I can plug one pre into one side and one into the other.

3. Ric5

Ric5 Supporting Member Commercial User

Jan 29, 2008
    Colorado
    I Grow Organic Carrots but they are not for sale
    You can run effects parallel like this --->>> bass effects

4. bigblue

bigblue

Apr 24, 2011
    Ray, I am pretty much thinking your current setup is what I am looking to do with the addition of another preamp that way I could cover more tones. I was thinking the 1804 looked great but was worried it would be too much power for me but I really like the idea of being able to run one or both Avatar 4x10's and I can always turn the volume down. Thanks!

5. Selta

Selta

Feb 6, 2002
    Pacific Northwet
    Yup man. It's cake to do, too. The way I do it is with an ABY box that sends my signal to both pres, and I switch as I want/need.

6. Check out the Coleman Audio GT6.. It's a 1RU switching device that I used to hook 3-4 preamps upto several outputs, (Ie. Poweramp, Tuner etc).

Welcome to colemanaudio.com

7. Whatever you do, don't connect more than one amp channel into each speaker or parallel set of speakers. The working channel will drive the other channel in reverse and you'll be releasing the magic smoke in a microsecond.

I would A/B the preamps into the amp.

8. Bread Knife

Bread Knife

Oct 8, 2010
    Seattle, WA
    Once the magic smoke comes out, you pretty much can't get it to go back in there. This is a very important point.

9. Difficult, but not impossible!

:bassist:

10. Selta

Selta

Feb 6, 2002
    Pacific Northwet
    I wouldn't, and don't currently. Kind of defeats the purpose for what I do, and then I only use 1 channel of my amp, which is just a waste ;).

Of course though, you don't want to connect two of any kind of amp to one cab - this is no different.

11. Your diagram is very non-specific as to what is plugged into what.

Just to ram it home: a dual channel power amp is TWO amps in one box, careful as ye go.

12. Selta

Selta

Feb 6, 2002
    Pacific Northwet
  13. zaubertuba

zaubertuba

Nov 1, 2009
    Here's a silly question--if you're not biamping or running two cabs, why not just bridge the amp (most pro stereo amps do this with just a flip of a switch)?

Of course then you would pretty much *have* to mix down the two preamps and send just one signal to the amp, anyway.

14. Selta

Selta

Feb 6, 2002
    Pacific Northwet
    You're missing the point. OP and I aren't looking for a sum of our preamps. Two totally different tones to be kicked in and out as necessary.
    Also, the PLX2 does not do bridging. Even if it did, I would still run my setup in the exact same way that I do now.