1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Dual purpose for bass wah-wah pedal: expression and by itself

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by MakiSupaStar, Aug 30, 2007.

1. MakiSupaStar

MakiSupaStar The Lowdown Diggler

Apr 12, 2006
    Huntington Beach, CA
    I would like to purchase a bass wah-wah pedal. Either gonna be the Morley or the Bootzilla. It's down to those too. Either way, would it be possible to hook this up as an expression pedal for my synths AND run it as a straight up wah wah in my line too (not just as an expression pedal)? Do I have to purchase two of them? :meh:

2. JanusZarate

JanusZarate Low End Avenger Gold Supporting Member

Feb 21, 2006
    Petaluma, CA, USA
    Simultaneously? Not without serious modding.

One function at a time? Not without serious modding.

They're not built to be expression pedals. But the Morley has enough room to allow for some unusual modifications... it might be something that could be transformed into an photoresistor-based expression pedal. I know there's open spaces for additional LEDs and LDRs on any current Morley that isn't a wah/volume combo. And in the old chrome Morley wahs... you've got tons of room. :)

I'd imagine you could install a second LDR, second LED, and drill a hole for a new jack dedicated only to the expression pedal function. There are cutouts in the design of the pedal that will allow the footpedal to affect multiple LED/LDR pairs; you'll see this often in the Morley Wah/Volume combo pedals, but Morley uses the same stock PCB, footpedal, and chassis parts for all their current models. You'll have plenty of room on the PCB to add new parts directly onto it if you wanted; Morley doesn't use all of it for their circuits.

There are multiple requirements you'd need to meet to get it to work right, but that's the starting point right there, I think. Best of all, you could run both functions simultaneously.

Just to warn you, that was just some brainstorming. My electrical experience is pretty limited.

This thread may be of interest to you. It's regarding a different mod, but still helpful for a starting point: http://www.talkbass.com/forum/showthread.php?t=357861

3. JanusZarate

JanusZarate Low End Avenger Gold Supporting Member

Feb 21, 2006
    Petaluma, CA, USA
    I edited my post a bit, so re-read it if you already read it.

4. you know, I wonder how difficult it would actually be--I have this thing called a pocket pedal made by Anatek and it can convert volume pedal signals to midi, and can send volume, pitch, modulation, porta time, sustain, sostenuto, start/stop and porta on/off info via midi, so if one of those is what you control you could probably do it with a wah/volume pedal...
    http://www.keyboardmuseum.org/ar/a/anat/pedal.html

if its something else, i got nothing :)

5. Sir Edward V

Sir Edward V Not Actually Knighted... Yet!

Dec 11, 2006
    Massachusetts
    Hey that's my thread! :smug:

But definitely read that if you want to do this, I found out some good information that is now in that thread.

6. MakiSupaStar

MakiSupaStar The Lowdown Diggler

Apr 12, 2006
    Huntington Beach, CA
    Thanks guys. Thanks Mystic. Let me do some reading. I'll post later. Sounds complicated though. Might just be better to purchase two and be done with it.