Dual truss rods?

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by JSPguitars, Mar 12, 2004.

1. JSPguitars

Jan 12, 2004
    Grass Valley
    I'm beginning to build my first bass from el-scratcho and have a few simple neck questions....
    1: Do you all suggest using dual truss rods on a 4-string?
    2: If using the 'hotrod' rods that stewmac sells, do i need to put a filler strip of wood in-between the rod and the fingerboard?
    3: if using a simple ABM bridge, it's not necessary to create a neck angle, right?
    4: what size frets do you all normally use?

thx in advance..
  2. gyancey

Mar 25, 2002
    Austin, TX
    1. No
    2. No
    3. No, as long as you use a neck step instead!
    4. Depends.

Nov 24, 2001
    New York,NY
    Why would you want dual truss rods on a 4 anyway???

4. Bass Kahuna

Bass Kahuna

Dec 3, 2002
    West Lafayette, Indiana
    Luthier, Custom Builder
    The "neck step" is where the neck / fingerboard surface is above the surface plane of the top of the body. On most basses this measurement is somewhere in the vacinity of around 1 cm, or .4 inches, although it would need to be set depending on the minimum and maximum height adjustments of the bridge your considering using.

If you're fingerboard is barely above the surface of the body, like on a Les Paul Guitar, then you need to have the neck back at some type of angle to give you the necessary clearance of the strings above the body to make the necessary room for the bridge, pickups, etc.

5. Or you could be nifty and recess the bridge into the body.
  6. JSPguitars

Jan 12, 2004
    Grass Valley
    thank you all for your replies. The picture is becoming much clearer in my head, so hopefully all will go well.
    I'm not a bass player per se, but i remember seeing pictures of several basses with dual truss rods and I believe they were 4 string basses, hence my question.
    time to dive in!