1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Dual vs Single

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by johnsonabq, Jan 23, 2012.

1. johnsonabq

johnsonabq Hanging on in quiet desperation... Supporting Member

Dec 12, 2011
    Albuquerque, NM
    If you were building a bass with one dual coil pup and one single coil pup, where would you put the single coil? Bridge or neck position?
    Thanks,

2. mmbongo

mmbongo Dilly Dilly! Supporting Member

Aug 5, 2009
    Carolinas
    Usually dual coil at the bridge. But some builders...like Warrior..put the single at the bridge. So..I don't know! I love a humbucker in the bridge, but I've never played a reversed setup. I imagine it would be more like a P/J setup.

3. Stealth

Stealth

Feb 5, 2008
    Zagreb, Croatia
    Try to find a clip of Stu Hamm playing his new Washburn. He's got an MM/J (MM in the neck) combination. I haven't been able to, but I'm dying to find out.

OTOH the J/MM (J in the neck) combination is pretty groovy.

4. SGD Lutherie

SGD Lutherie Banned Commercial User

Aug 21, 2008
    Bloomfield, NJ
    Owner, SGD Music Products
  5. johnsonabq

johnsonabq Hanging on in quiet desperation... Supporting Member

Dec 12, 2011
    Albuquerque, NM
  6. Stealth

Stealth

Feb 5, 2008
    Zagreb, Croatia
    Thanks for the link, David! :D

7. kraigo

kraigo

Jun 21, 2007
    Minneapolis, MN
    Dual coils in both is my preference. I've got one of David's ND-3's in neck position on my Artcore (one pickup) and it's great. If I had to stick to the rules I think I'd put the DC in the bridge because series on the bridge pickup gives it a nice bass boost, which it needs, IMO. But my 55-01 has Nordstrand DC's in both positions and I really love being able to switch both.