Dual Will Power neck config...

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by duckbutter, Jul 1, 2005.

1. duckbutter

Mar 30, 2005
    I was thinking about doing a dual Dimarzio Will Power Neck pup confing on a jazz bass body I have.
    I was wondering if it will have a similar effect as a dual DarkStar pickup confing (DarkStars are a bit out of my price range), or if anybody thinks it will sound good ?
  2. tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    Will Powers are mudbuckers and are pretty much only there for low end support. While they may sound okay soloed, you're going to lose a LOT of high end definition.

I think it'll sound like poo, but thats just my opinion.
  3. duckbutter

Mar 30, 2005
    Thanks, I was kind of thinking that as well.
    Just wanted to hear from others on it.
    So, any idea how I can get that DarkStar type sound without shelling out the $$$ for the DarkStars ?
  4. tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    Don't think you can. Darkstars are expensive and so are the Guilds they were designed to replace.
  5. duckbutter

Mar 30, 2005
    what about these...

New Old Stock from Fender. DeArmond "Gold Tone" humbucking neck position bass pickup. USA made pickup with ring as used in Starfire series basses. Features Alnico 5 magnets, polysol wire, and nickel silver pickup cover. Expect a deep and woody vintage tone. Great for replacement or projects. Measures 3" x 1-7/8". Outside of the pickup ring is 3-15/16" x 2-3/8".
  6. kazuhank

Nov 12, 2002
    Portland, OR
    +1 anybody try one of these as a replacement or in a project bass? i'm considering them in a hollowbody as i too am unable to afford the dark stars.
  7. luknfur

Jan 14, 2004

I picked up a pair of those but only ran one but it's decent and they're worth the money regardless cause they're relatively cheap. And they are new and quite retro appearance wise. I ran a review in the Dimento HB thread on it and, been a while, but seemed it functioned well as a single at the bridge. Even the Schaller roller bridge wouldn't go narrow nough for that EBO spacing to mount the neck pup - barely made it at the bridge.

I have plans to set-up a narrow scale bass once I pick up a Schaller 5 string roller to steal the saddles out of it since they're a lot more narrow than the 4's. May even be able to get by using it intact with one less string. I'm addicted to lateral string adjustment and function before beauty.

There should also be a DM Willpower middle pup in that HB thread so you can look at how the two compared. I think I put the Willpower in Mid (P) position though. Any reason you weren't considering the middle and neck Willpower instead of two necks?
  8. duckbutter

Mar 30, 2005
    Honestly…mostly for esthetics. What I think I might do now is a Will Power Neck and Ultra Jazz bridge, similar to the EB3 setup.
  9. Mofo-Kang

Aug 26, 2006
    Modesto, CA
    Hmmm... where can you get these?
  10. teej

Aug 19, 2004
    Sheffield, AL 35660
    Apparently, Bass Parts Resource doesn't sell them anymore, but I'm also looking for a set to put in a 1960s Kent hollowbody.
  11. A9X

Dec 27, 2003
    Sinny, Oztraya
    If you plan on using the WPN in the neck position, before you intall it, get a couple of small pieces of styrofoam and tape, and mount it upside down over the strings near the bridge and see what you think. It's only about 11k, so it's not massively overwound like the Gibson pickups and will probably sound OK.

However, check the string spacing near the bridge as on most 19mm basses, the WPN is too narrow.