dualing portaflex ampeg question

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by jcroxford, Oct 25, 2020.

1. jcroxford

jcroxford

Jan 7, 2017
    Sacramento CA
    I split my signal with clean tone to one amp and dirty/fx going to the other. I have a portaflex pf800 amp and 2 pf115 cabs. i'm getting 2 pf210he cabs, and thinking about getting a pf50t head. I'm thinking of running the pf800/pf210he cabs for the dirty/fx and the pf50t/pf115 cabs for the clean tone. will the pf50t be able to go toe toe with the 800w head output wise? Or do I just need to get another pf800 to match?

2. walterw

walterw Supportive Fender Commercial User

Feb 20, 2009
    alpha-music.com
    that makes no sense at all!

you want the high-power solid state amp for cleans and the low-wattage tube amp for the dirty sound

you probably also want the dirty sound to not have so much low end in it, leave that to be carried by the clean side. as such, probably one small cab is all you need for the dirt side. just be sure the cab is one that has no tweeter or that you can turn the tweeter off, distortion sounds bad through tweeters.

3. jcroxford

jcroxford

Jan 7, 2017
    Sacramento CA
    Interesting.... I was thinking the warm tubes / low end through the 15s.... and dirty crunching through the 10s ..

4. I'd much rather use 800 watts for a high volume, clean sound than 50 watts, tubes or no.

5. beans-on-toast

beans-on-toast

Aug 7, 2008
    High frequencies carry with less power. Tweeters for example, require very little power. So if you are using distortion pedals an amp with less power can pull it off.

You’ll never know which combination will best suit your needs till you try it though.

BassmanPaul, jcroxford and pie_man_25 like this.
  6. walterw

walterw Supportive Fender Commercial User

Feb 20, 2009
    alpha-music.com
    speakers aside, only 50 watts of tubes = not much low end; there's just not enough power for it at louder volumes, it'll distort.

you need high power for good strong low end, while "warmth" and dirt are all about mids and highs, where you don't need nearly as much power to get it loud. also most people prefer tubes for distortion to solid state, so it makes way more sense to use the small tube amp for the dirt side. some bass players even use actual guitar amps for that.

wcriley likes this.
  7. jcroxford

jcroxford

Jan 7, 2017
    Sacramento CA
    Thank you all for the insight, I've been thinking about this all wrong

8. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Yamaha, Ampeg, Line 6, EMG
    Ya, I'd do the reverse, too.

bobyoung53 and jcroxford like this.
  9. bobyoung53

bobyoung53 Supporting Member

Yup a 50 watt tube head would be just about perfect for distortion with it cranked. You play your Ric stereo?

10. jcroxford

jcroxford

Jan 7, 2017
    Sacramento CA
    Na. I go into es-8 mono and split signal in the switcher

11. bobyoung53

bobyoung53 Supporting Member

I just bought an old Ric-O-Sound box, my third, you can really fine tune the sound running stereo. I played stereo through those two SVTs in my avatar once, it sounded like the Voice Of God.:laugh: Was a bit much for most of my gigs though so just ran mono through one.

jcroxford likes this.
  12. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

May 16, 2022