Dub Artists, Recordings, Bassists?

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by Matt Till, Jul 13, 2004.

1. Matt Till

Matt Till

Jun 1, 2002
    Edinboro, PA
    After seeing 311, My interest in dub bass playing has been sparked.
  2. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

Ultimate "Dub" is by Sly and Robbie - they virtually invented it from a bass and drums point of view in studios in Jamaica with various producers.

Robbie Shakespeare is the bass player, Sly Dunbar the drummer - they are truly the founders in the Dub field! Look out for their stuff with King Tubby (Osbourne Ruddock) who was the first to make remixed B-sides out of Reggae singles with bass and drums to the fore - i.e. Sly n' Robbie. :)
  3. baba

baba Supporting Member

Jan 22, 2002
    3rd stone from the sun
    Lee Scratch Perry produced some pretty nice dub.

Tony Allen (Fela Kuti/Africa 70 drummer) put out an afrobeat/dub sort of album in the past few years called Black Voices. Pretty cool.
  4. brianrost

brianrost Gold Supporting Member

Apr 26, 2000
    Boston, Taxachusetts
    More artists/producers specializing in dub:

Augustus Pablo
    King Tubby
    Mad Professor
    Bill Laswell
    Niney the Observer

Many reggae artists will put out both "normal" releases and a dub version at the same time.

The ROIR and Heartbeat labels both have large catalogs of dub releases.
  5. Eyescream

Feb 4, 2004
    Knoxville, TN
    Teach me what dub is. How's it different than reggae?
  6. Matt Till

Matt Till

Jun 1, 2002
    Edinboro, PA
    It's my understanding it's kind of "trippier" and more modern sounding. The bass is ultra bassy and more electronic sounding.

Am I close?
  7. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

Dub did originate with Reggae - so the producers like King Tubby and Lee Perry, would "Dub" or copy parts of a hit Reggae single, onto tape to make an instrumental version initially for the B-side - but these "re-mixes" became very popular in clubs.

So they would take a lot of instruments and all vocals out - usually just ending up with a skeleton track of bass and drums, with boosted low bass - then bring bits of the instruments back in, from the original mix - but altered through effects - mostly spacey echo and reverb.

Sometimes the bassist and drummer - liek Sly n Robbie would come back in and improvise looser, more prominent parts over the skeleton track - adding in drum crashes and percussion hits on massive reverb - but the main thing is a huge feeling of space that you get from this stripped down mix - so you have this huge but gentle, boomy bass - but then subtle high frequency sounds appearing to be at the edges of your hearing, almost outside your head....;)