Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Dub Players

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by Pre EB, Jun 7, 2002.

1. Pre EB

Pre EB

Mar 15, 2002
    Denton, Tx
    Ok Mad Sub,or anyone else for that matter, I'm depending on you (guys)! I'm always looking for new stuff to check out, but it's kinda hit or miss. Even with Laswell. I bought an album by Dub Syndicate yesterday and it's not quite what I'm looking for. Good, but not great. Who besides Laswell, Jah wobble, Sly and Robbie, and those cats are heavy duty groove? I'm not really into "Scratch" even though he's legendary, but even Sly and Robbie have some iffy stuff. I bought a Sly and Robbie disc last year that sounds like it's unfinished! maybe rough mixes stolen from the studio!?!?! TERRIBLE. Please recommend some guys I can count on. BTW I can't download stuff on my computer (it's old), so I try to buy used, and at 15.99 a disc new, it gets expensive to just shoot in the dark.
    Thanks,
    Joe

2. jerry

jerry Doesn't know BDO Gold Supporting Member

Dec 13, 1999
    Hawaii
    For good Sly & Robbie Dub, you have to go back to their earlier stuff.......Black Uhuru's Dub Factor is excellent! Roots Radics with Bassist Flabba Holt are also excellent at Dub! Burning Spear's "Garvey's Ghost" is also great Dub!
    Lee Scatch Perry's "Arkology" is a box set with some awesome roots and Dub.....it's like the reggae Motown box set......every song is great:D

3. Pre EB

Pre EB

Mar 15, 2002
    Denton, Tx
    I just wish Lee Perry would be quiet for a while!:D
    I really dig busy drumming (as long as it is tasteful) a la Sly and Robbie, and the other mutations of Dub with the Eastern thing going (tabla). I got Tabla Beat Science and it's pretty good but my favorite Dub disk in my collection is a bunch of remixes called "Dubmission 2" on Quango records. I have a lot to learn about the history of the style, but I tend to lean more towards the modern sound. There was a copy of a newer disk of Sly and Robbie with Black Uhuru at the store, but the jacket looked Xeroxed and that brought back memories of that horrible record I bought last year! I really can't waste 15.99 right now- I've got babies to feed!!!!! I need sure things so keep it up with the suggestions!
    thanks,
    Joe
    BTW, I saw burning Spear about four years ago at a free concert in Poughkeepsie and they had the tightest rythm section I had ever seen. Un-freakin-real. I was the only one up front and all I could do was stare.:eek: :eek:

4. jerry

jerry Doesn't know BDO Gold Supporting Member

Dec 13, 1999
    Hawaii
    A reggae artist I know used Sly & Robbie on one of his C.D.'s.......and they just programed everything!
    He said the price they ask for actually playing their instruments would have cost him triple of what he paid for the programing..........weird:confused:

5. Pre EB

Pre EB

Mar 15, 2002
    Denton, Tx
    That is weird! You'd think that it would take more time, time= money, to program then to play- unless they did the programming somewhere else and didn't have to actually be there in the studio.

6. Jontom

Jontom

Mar 11, 2002
    New York
    Hey PreEB...Whats a guy from Texas doing in Po-Town? Was that Burning Spear show at the Chance by chance?

7. Pre EB

Pre EB

Mar 15, 2002
    Denton, Tx
    No, it was outdoors by the river. Some sort of cold-ass spring river festival with a lot of music. The Bacon Bros. also played:p I went to the CIA in Hyde Park. We lived across the river in Highland; I guess we were there about three years, and moved back to Tejas when I graduated. Beautiful area, but winter is too damn long!!!

8. slam

slam Guest

Mar 22, 2000
    Virginia
    For dub music, King Tubby is THE MAN (they don't call him king for nuthin'). There are a ton of Tubby discs out there. Try and look for ones on the Blood and Fire label as they are generally good quality.

Also worth mentioning is Scientist, who trained at Tubby's studio. He has a lot of discs out, many of them involving Roots Radics.

Also interesting and modern is Mad Professor out of England.

9. Pre EB

Pre EB

Mar 15, 2002
    Denton, Tx
    Thanks Slam,
    I'll keep on the lookout for those. So many records, so little $$$!
    Keep the suggestions coming, too.