Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Dub Reggae

Discussion in 'Recordings [BG]' started by Vox Populi, Nov 8, 2005.

1. Vox Populi

Vox Populi Reggae Loving Honkey

Jan 27, 2004
    Poulsbo, WA
    I'm a certified Reggae loving white boy.

However, my exposure to the genre has been limited. I went to this awesome reggae record store in Seattle called "Zion's Gate" and I was blown away at the selection of awesome reggae they had. I just wanted to light a spliff and lead my people back to Ethiopia.. Except that I'm white.

So I'm a huge fan of Steel Pulse. They're totally my favorite reggae band. Especially the old stuff. Some of the newer stuff is good, but they're a little too synth-driven now with all the heavy use of keyboards. I really like songs like "Chant a Psalm," "Soldiers," "Handsworth Revolution," and "Man No Sober".

What reggae bands similar to Steel Pulse are out there. I seriously dig the reggae, especially as a bass player.

2. jerry

jerry Doesn't know BDO Gold Supporting Member

Dec 13, 1999
    Hawaii
    Another English reggae band with great grooves and vocals is Aswad.....especially the early stuff. If you really want to start exploring dub reggae, check out Lee Scratch Perry's Arkology! It's a bible of reggae grooves :bassist:

3. I'm a Reggae lovin' white boy as well. There is a Steel Pulse dub on the Ultimate Collection album. It's really good. Here are a few of my favorite Dub albums:

Augustus Pablo/King Tubby Meets Rockers Uptown
    Black Uhuru/Dub Factor
    Burning Spear/Garvey's Ghost
    Scientist/Rids The World of The Evil Curse of The Vampires
    Keith Hudson/Pick A Dub
    Yabby You/Dub It To The Top
    Lee Perry/Return of The Super Ape

The second Trojan Dub Massive is a current favorite as well. There are many excellent dub albums out there.

If you're looking for Reggae with vocals you can't go wrong with Bob Marley and The Wailers. I'd also recommend Marcus Garvey by Burning Spear (Garvey's Ghost is the dub version).

4. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

You can't talk about Dub without mentioning Sly and Robbie!! ;)

[​IMG]

5. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

Now we have two current Dub Reggae threads!!

6. For Reaggae "Israel Vibration" are really nice. I love their stuff.
    Black Uhuru - brutalize me with dub
    Peter Tosh - Bush doctor
    Misty In Roots are also cool!
    Has anybody listened to the reaggae tribute to bob dylan "is it rolling bob"??
    this is an amazing album!!! my version has also a dub bonus disc. the bass playing on there is so great!!! :bassist: