Dub Side of the Moon

Discussion in 'Recordings [BG]' started by slam, Apr 25, 2003.

1. slam

slam Guest

Mar 22, 2000
    Anyone heard this album yet? It is a reggae remake of Pink Floyd's "Dark Side of the Moon" and it is amazing. Sounds like it could be cheesy but it is not at all. There are sound samples on this website.
    To me, the remake sounds better than the original in some ways. It is not like some of the reggae tribute albums I have heard that sound somewhat disjointed because of all the different artists.

Anyway I highly recommend this album for reggae fans as well as fans of the original album.
  2. fclefgeoff

fclefgeoff Supporting Member

Jan 3, 2002
    The samples sound pretty good. I'm a big Corey Harris fan, too. I'd love to hear him singing "Time". I might have to pick this album up...
  3. Jonesy4fnk

Jonesy4fnk Supporting Member

I have heard it...its awesome.

Great translation into the dub realm. I think it shows the integrity of the original music that it retains it magic in any style.

Definitly pick this one up.
  4. jerry

jerry Doesn't know BDO Gold Supporting Member

Dec 13, 1999
    I pick it up a little while back...I like it a lot!!! Pink Floyd music seems to lend it self very nicely to dub.
    I also was afraid of the cheese factor, and was glad there wasn't any. I heard it matches up with the Wizard of Oz too;) One of my favorite spliff albums lately:D
  5. Slam, hey cool. thanks. I am gonna go out and buy that one ASAP
  6. my favorite part on the dub album is the beginning of money with the guy taking the drag and then coughing and then having it loop. so funny. such pothead humor.
  7. way_of_opiatism

way_of_opiatism 28d, 6h, 42m, 12 seconds

Feb 5, 2003
    i just got the disc, and im really impressed. i thought they would slaughter some of the songs but all of the songs are very well done. really amazing how well it came out. certainly a needed addition to anyones collection (and i am a collector!)
  8. this is offtopic but..

i finally watched donnie darko today.
  9. slam

slam Guest

Mar 22, 2000
    What is donnie darko?
  10. a dark yet somewhat funny movie. its science fiction drama who knows what else. its quite good. its one of the cult things. or its gonna be one of them as it grows older. the soundtrack is pretty nice too.
    i only mentioned it because the numbers under way_of_opiatism's name is a reference to the movie.

11. fclefgeoff

fclefgeoff Supporting Member

Jan 3, 2002
    I am digging it but there is one complaint I have... Rankin Joe's weirdo reggae rap/scat thing completely RUINS "Time", IMO. I have to say my favorite tracks are "Us and Them" and "Money".
  12. slam

slam Guest

Mar 22, 2000
    I think my favorite tracks on the album are "Breathe" "Great Gig in the Sky" and "Money". It's funny because I have heard Floyd's version of "Money" far too often but I really like this version a lot.

I have to agree with you about "Time", Rankin Joe's rap is just too much, but I do enjoy the other rap that he does over the "Any Colour You Like" riddim.

Anyone done the Wizard of Oz thing yet?
  13. Philbiker

Philbiker Pat's the best!

Dec 28, 2000
    Northern Virginia, USA
    I can't find the samples on that website.
  14. slam

slam Guest

Mar 22, 2000
    It is on that page about halfway down on the left right below the t-shirts. Says Easystar Radio.
  15. Gawd...that is for real right? I know that with those file sharing programs you will find copies of the Oz flick but with "Dark side" dubbed over it. Never seen it myself but it's out there....someday.
    Dr.Dick's Dub shack a streaming dub radio station often plays the "Dub side" album in it's entirety; fun to hear. http://dub.zionradio.com/