Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

dub sounds

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by dirtgroove, Jan 11, 2003.

1. dirtgroove

dirtgroove

Jan 10, 2003
    Taipei, Taiwan
    You know... that "dubby" sub-bass noise whereby changes of note are mainly recognised by different parts of the building vibrating... ...alright maybe not quite to that extent but you know that sound I mean.... a big "phat" BOOM!

....How can I make it with my bass?

Are there any toys out there that can actually help me achieve this?

cheers.

2. Nate Dawg

Nate Dawg

Apr 8, 2000
    Denver, CO
    A tone generator. Or maybe a midi controller and a synth module.

As far as getting that sound out of your bass, I'd try a decent EQ and maybe an octave pedal.

3. here's how i do it, flats on a jazz, with a bit of compression supplied by my digi-tech bp-200.
    but mines more of a rockin/dubby style.
    but that should help you start.

4. Or you could spend $25 and get there in an instant with a used DOD FX25. Honestly..I have thousands of dollars worth o' bass gear and guitars and I could toss most of it and just play the show with this cheap little green box. I've just about blown my cabs a few times with it's subterranean slow-waves....nausea inducing.

[​IMG]

5. DigMe

DigMe

Aug 10, 2002
    Waco, TX
    I second the DOD FX-25. Just turn the sensitivity all the way down so that it never activates the "wah" sound and it just sits in that low dub sound. That's all you need...well a good amp setup helps too. :)

brad cook

6. ga_edwards

ga_edwards

Sep 8, 2000
    UK, Essex
    The GT6B has got a preset for this, called in a club. Sounds like...err...in a club.

Just for the record, it's contructed from the Bass Synth effect, with a touch of compression.
    the Synth uses a saw wave profile, with the resonance bumped right up, and the cutoff down right down, and a touch of the depth control. The overall wet/dry blend it quite minimal.
    It gives that huge sub bass efeect, but still with decernable pitches over the top. With a bit if tweaking, you could get the desired effect.

It's a long shot, but doe anyone know if the Boss bass synth stomp box could give the same effect?

7. corinpills

corinpills

Nov 19, 2000
    Boston, MA
    This is a particular area of interest for me. I find that, even though I play in a song based rock setting, I prefer a huge dub bass tone. I find that, in the context of my band, it really leaves a lot of room for the guitar frequencies. I play flatwounds on hollowbody basses with just a neck humbucker, roll off most of the highs, boost the lows and play through all tube amps. I use the heaviest strings and play with my right hand near the base of the neck. I've listened to tons of studio one dub and Mad Professor/ Lee Perry dub remixes and Jah Wobble and Bill Laswell, St. Germain, Trojan records and everything I can get my hands on. And I combine that approach with songs that sound like Cheap Trick.

Gear-wise, I know that Jah Wobble & Bill Laswell swear by the DBX Sub Harmonic box. I forget the model number, but it's supposed to be quite the shiznit. Jah Wobble got some great tones from one of those bizarro 70's Ovation basses with the giant humbucker.

8. Wobble also uses one of those frickin' 21" subwoofers; a real nutter. I have heard a bit about those Ovations? Would LOVE to try one!! Can you imagine the bottom on that puppy?!
    Oddly enough, Laswell's live rig is centered around his Fender PJ and SVT II. While the DBX120XP is pretty much de rigour for the studio, I am fairly sure that is where it stays. Myself on the other hand have been unable to gig w/o it up until now. Gentleman...as reluctant as I am to admit it, the DBX may be leaving my regular set-up soon. My new F-1X has the most massive bottom..etc; you've all heard me go on enough about lately I am sure. I really needed it with my old Mesa M2000 and with the DOD FX25...oh man; the finest dub tone imaginable, no matter your strings or bass and I've tried it all. You know that classic car boombox, subharmonic "bloom" that you feel when they drive by you? The one you feel, rather than hear? The cheap junky FX25 does that exactly. This is THE dub tool that Laswell has used for years and is UNBEATBLE IMHO. I need avariety of tones from my rig and it is so fun to have such a simple, effective tool that will do the job right everytime. Love it.
    Robbie Shakespere uses a Thumb5 with flatwounds for his classic tone. Jeff Ahmet is seen playing one of those Ovation Magnum's in that last BP mag.

9. Cantstandsya

Cantstandsya

Jul 27, 2001
    Fontana, CA
    You can get the same sound on the Digitech Bass Synth Wah and add a Sub-Octave to it as well.IMO the best sound on that pedal.It also works great as a straight Octaver or Envelope Filter(better than the FX25) as well.The best thing about these settings is the Control knob works as a Wet/Dry knob and you can mix in just as much of the effect as you want while still retaining a very solid bottom end.I purchased the FX25 brand new in 1993 and IMO the new Digitech pedal wipes the floor with it.Oh,yeah the Synth 1 and 2 setiings are also very usable on that Digitech pedal.I could do without the Filter 1 and 2 settings.

10. Jeff Moote

Jeff Moote Supporting Member

Oct 11, 2001
    Beamsville, ON, Canada
    Perhaps the new Digitech can do what the FX25 can, and better, but it can't be had for $10--25. What Mad Sub likes about his, aside from the sound, is how little it costs, afaik.

So both are good, but that 'ol FX25 is the best bargain there is for that sound.

11. Actually, I reallyu feel that the DOD has a tone that just can't be beat by any of my other synths or filters. I have dozens now many of which cost 10X as much. With the FX25, I stopped needing an octaver and since my new F-1X purchase haven't even used my DBX120XP either. It's organic and has no tracking hassles. It's like a wee polyphonic subharmonic synthesizer in a can. Oh yeah, and they can be had for less than $30.
    :D

12. Cantstandsya

Cantstandsya

Jul 27, 2001
    Fontana, CA
    Yeah,they are (FX25)$30 now but I paid $70 for mine when I bought it new in 93.

13. BFunk

BFunk Supporting Member

Besides Mad Subwoofers excellent recommendation of a DOD FX25, I suggest that you try out the Electro-Harmonix Octave Multiplexor. This is a great sub-octave synth. The sound is meatier, more defined, and has more 'vibe' than similar offerings from EBS and Boss. Plus you will likely find a lot more great sounds than just dub-bass. (Try messing with the range switch!)

14. Hmm..I don't know much about this box, besides it's considerable size. You like it lots?

[​IMG]

15. BFunk

BFunk Supporting Member

Yep. I really love it. Has the fat sound of a vintage analog synth, like a minimoog. (OK, nothing is trully like a vintage minimoog, but this does get into that ballpark for about $3911 less.)

16. top028

top028

Dec 14, 1999
    Lancaster, PA
    Couple years back, I started the same type thread. Every one told me to use the neck PU and get a good set of flats. I have a cheep short scale archtop that needed a fretjob, so I just pulled the frets and slapped on a set of Thomastic Infeld Jazz Flats. SUPERB TONE! with or without the fx25. OH yeah, dont forget to pluck between the heel and 12th frets. You can't get much more of an organic tone than with tubes.

17. My Alembic Signature series electronics in my Alembi-Wick cop that same sound strikingly well. I flip the Q-switch to the most extreme position and roll back the LP filter for massively deep tones. I have Ron Wickersham WAXY56 in the neck slot which helps too...huge magnet.

18. I also love that classic dub tone you get with a de-fretted P-bass ala' David J from Bauhaus.

19. SoyBase

SoyBase

Jul 1, 2001
    Atlanta, Ga
    Whats a good setting on the Octave Multiplexor?
    I havent been able to find anything that works all that well..It seems to fall off track easy as well..

Thanks
    Tommy