dub theory

Discussion in 'General Instruction [BG]' started by DeepDeath, Dec 29, 2002.

1. anyone know some patterns of dub bass how stuff is formed, i just love fat deep dub songs.
  2. jazzbo

Aug 25, 2000
    San Francisco, CA
    Bush plays bass?
  3. HeavyDuty

HeavyDuty Supporting Curmudgeon Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Jun 26, 2000
    Suburban Chicago, IL
    Mom - Jazzbo's trying to be funny again... ;)

Dub = W = Bush's nickname
  4. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

First, go an live in a Caribbean country where the weather is always hot and the sea is beautiful. Secondly, get a large supply of Ganja, roll it up into huge joints, smoke it every day for about 6 months; roll all the treble off your bass and play! :D
  5. heh i do that right now as it is! haha, DUB is the perfect music for stoners like me...sometimes i seriously think its BUD reggae backwards hehe. but seriously any certain groove patterns there are for dub?
  6. slam

slam Guest

Mar 22, 2000
    You ought to be able to pick them out by listening to the records. Dont be flashy, just groove hard. Lots of minor keys. Pick your line and stick with it.

I would suggest you listen to dub and reggae all the time.

Recommended listening:

King Tubby - by far my favorite dub producer. They didnt call him King for nothing. He had a lot of home-made gear that allowed him to make unique sounds on his records.

Scientist - Trained by King Tubby and just about as good.

There are others including Mad Professor, Prince Jammy, Lee Perry.

There have been many threads on talkbass about how to play reggae. Search them out and you will learn more.