Discussion in 'Technique [BG]' started by nunk6, Nov 2, 2000.

1. nunk6

Jul 29, 2000
    hey what is dub playing and what do i need(bass,amp,anything) to know to be able to play it; besides the definition of it
  2. slam

slam Guest

Mar 22, 2000
    Dub is spaced-out reggae. It has lots of reverb on various instruments and sometimes different instruments drop in and out. I would recommend the CD "Dub Chill Out" as a good intro to the style. It is pretty cheap and has some of the best of the classic dubs.

Dub bass playing is usually characterized by a two bar riff that repeats throughout the song with little or no variation. The bass usually holds steady while the other instruments drop in and out.
  3. APouncer

Nov 3, 2000
    Lancashire, UK
    Dub basslines are often very interesting, as the other chap said, often a repeated phrase throughout the tune, with different syncopation patterns and subtle changes to the notes, dropping an octave for one note in one bar for example, then returning. Some of these basslines are lovely, solid lines with enough variation to stay interesting - it's all in how you play the notes, the right hand rather than the left (assuming ur right handed). I would recommend Augustus Pablo for deep, groovy dub with strong syncopated basslines or Lee "Scratch" Perry.